iPad mini iPad off eBay. Activation locked!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macs4u, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Macs4u macrumors 6502

Hi,

Ive bought an iPad mini (non retina) off ebay. Its been delivered and its activation locked. Ive tried contacting the seller and am getting no reply. How the hell do i get it to change over to my id?

Matt

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

File a claim against the seller with Ebay and get your money back. Activation lock.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't. Its there to prevent theft.

Contest the ebay sale.

4. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do some people just MESS other people around?? eBay is just full of them lately. Thanks for the advice

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Won't matter if the seller responds or not. Ebay will refund your money. Not just Ebay, happens everywhere, and as long as people are foolish enough to keep falling for it, it will continue to happen. That is not to call you a fool. You just have to be very diligent in your research when buying things like this used.

I would never buy a used iPad or iPhone, I would rather a refurb or new from Apple. At least I know I am getting a clean one.

6. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

It was described as used and in warranty till december. I checked the warranty and it checked out so thought it was a bargain. Got it and the activation lock has spoiled what would have been a good buy. Ill contact ebay.

Matt

7. GalFriday macrumors member

You can't. In the future do your homework before buying expensive gadgets from Ebay, Craigslist or anywhere aside from Apple and authorized resellers like Amazon/Best Buy/etc. Had you searched here you'd have found the other 500 threads from people having the same issue. Your seller sold you a stolen iPad. There is absolutely nothing you or anyone but the owner of the iCloud account attached to it can do to get past the activation lock.

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Just curious: After contacting eBay for a refund, shouldn't the OP contact Apple so they can reunite the iPad with its real owner?

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

I think its locked to the sellers account, and not stolen.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Sorry to hear your new toy got locked. I bought two different iPads from two different ebay dealers I guess ebay dealers are better than ebay sellers? I could be wrong. :apple:

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yep, still happens. At least you have the protection of Ebay and Paypal. You did nothing wrong. It was totally the seller at fault. Just checking the warranty though is no indication that it is not stolen. It just shows it has warranty. Warranties do not get cancelled because an iPad is stolen.

Consider it a learning curve.

12. GalFriday macrumors member

Apple won't help. They can tell who owns the iPad but won't get involved.

13. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

In future do my homework?? Buying an iPad is no different than buying anything off eBay that is sent through the post. There is no "homework" I can do when it's not right in front of me that will benefit me, apart from what I did. I'm 36 yrs old, I'm not stupid but not psychic either!

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Getting angry won't help. Contact the seller- ask them to remove it from their Find My iPhone on iCloud.com and let us know how you get on.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

OP said in the very first post he tried to contact the seller and got no response.

16. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Let Ebay do the work.I bought some headphones and didnt make delivery date.Ebay contacted seller who did not respond and Ebay refunded all my money and shipping fees.Great company

17. GalFriday macrumors member

Yes, do your homework. For example, did youread the seller's feedback, both what he received and what he left others? Did you check out his stars? Anything less than a 4.8 for "item as described" is a red flag. Did you check his selling history? If a seller has a history of selling cheap crap and then all of a sudden is selling iPads, that's a red flag. Sold lots of stuff but never electronics until recently? Red flag. New seller and the first thing he is selling is an iPad? Red flag. Price seem to good to be true? Red flag. Buying iPads and other pricey electronics on Ebay is not wise-it's a category FULL of scammers. Did you do a search here for "activation lock" or "used ipad ebay"? You would have gotten a ton of info. So yes, there is homework you can do before buying expensive gadgets on Ebay.

18. Angelbwaybee macrumors newbie

If you paid with Paypal, open a dispute in the resolution centre.

19. Macs4u, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

He had good feedback, had sold an iPhone with good feedback. Its a mystery why he won't answer my emails. Not everybody who hasn't sold gadgets, traded for years on ebay is a crook. Everybody has to start somewhere and i have bought plenty on ebay that has turned out perfect. You take a very dim view on life if everything has to be so clear cut. Its all in hand now as I've filed a paypal claim.

I think you like to hear yourself talk! You come across very arrogant , which just makes people cringe! Having read some of your other posts such as...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisakixMikasa View Post
    I think my point is very clear. You cannot simply do everything on iPad and you cannot have the portability like iPad with MacBook Air. T.

No. Just no. If the iPad doesn't work for you, that's fine. That doesn't give you the right to make sweeping generalizations that it doesn't work, period, and sure doesn't give you the right to flat out lie about the functionality of certain apps like you did.

Everyone uses their devices differently. "Do everything" has very different meanings as a result. For some, the iPad can indeed do everything, for others, they still need a laptop for some tasks. That is what you need to understand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your speaking like you are the high and mighty and you are implicitly correct. Thats your opinion , your not god. You speak down to people and it looks silly.

Matt

20. GalFriday macrumors member

The only one being hostile here is YOU. I was just trying to help. I understand though that you need someone to be angry with and picked me. I get it.

21. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Let this be a learning experience. eBay is not what it was back in the late 90's. I hope you get your $$$ back. Save up and buy new from a b&m or Apple.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Take a picture of the Lock Screen and send it to eBay with your complaint and they will get your money back. No way to get the iPad going unless the original owner gives you the information. Do not waste time and do the complaint thng now and move on with life.

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Galfriday is trying to help. You have to remember this is the internet and you can't read scarcasim and stuff. You joined this site in 2008 and for me, reading this issue on this site alone, I won't buy an iAnything from eBay. With the Apple refurbished store it's a much better deal and a lot safer. Even if I pay $100 more than eBay, it's worth it to avoid this issues.

I think they are mad, but they also shouldn't take it out on you. I didn't find your post attacking at all. You were just stating facts in you post.

You're 100% correct and it's sad. I just look for legit/established stores (actual stores or on-line) now. I'm done with eBay sadly, and it was a good run while it lasted.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have to agree the responses on this thread are largely arrogant, and hind-sight is 20-20ish.

I am an expert buying on ebay and online. Yet, I do get burned. It happens.

The OP is in a good position in that he can get a refund from ebay.

The mistake with this thread is that it started. Its give so many a change to post how superior they are and nothing more. Their assumption being the OP is at fault.

25. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

eBay and PayPal usually err in favor of the buyer. Regardless, if the seller doesn't respond to the case you will be reimbursed anyway. There are always inherent risks in the second hand market of any items; electronics carry their own risks, but it's all the same idea. Save money and keep things out of a landfill for at least a little bit longer! I used to be in the new electronics camp, but over the last few years have had a lot of great experiences with buying and selling used.