Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Νίκος Παπανώτας

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
any idea for free office alternatives? i want to use it for diagrams like the ones in excel and editing documents like word. I am a mechanical engineer student and my uni. is not registered in microsoft's free plan for universities

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
What if you use Pages (comes installed in iOS) for Word equivalent and Numbers for Excel equivalent?

Another alternative would be Google Docs but I have not used them on my iPad.

Luckily I have access to Microsoft Office apps because of my Microsoft work account. I do think that Numbers and Pages are not that bad. It just takes some time to get used to them if you have not used them before. I also think that you can export from them to compatible Office files.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
i haven't try those apps but i sure will thanks for your response

You are welcome! Also forgot to say that Numbers comes installed on iOS as well btw.

It depends on what kind of documents and excel sheets you want to do though. I have to admit that for longer periods of work I would prefer to use the usual computer setup as I find that for me it is easier to create Excel sheets on bigger screen and with mouse. Same for diagrams. My iPad is just 9.7 inch though.

Most probably 11 inch or 12.9 (so pro versions) would be better but they are rather on the expense side.

Would the iPad be your only device in uni or you would have also computer? I am asking because I am myself with software engineering education and I can tell you that I would not be able to go by just with iPad. Too much specific software required for uni that does not exist in iOS.

Νίκος Παπανώτας

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
You are welcome! Also forgot to say that Numbers comes installed on iOS as well btw.

It depends on what kind of documents and excel sheets you want to do though. I have to admit that for longer periods of work I would prefer to use the usual computer setup as I find that for me it is easier to create Excel sheets on bigger screen and with mouse. Same for diagrams. My iPad is just 9.7 inch though.

Most probably 11 inch or 12.9 (so pro versions) would be better but they are rather on the expense side.

Would the iPad be your only device in uni or you would have also computer? I am asking because I am myself with software engineering education and I can tell you that I would not be able to go by just with iPad. Too much specific software required for uni that does not exist in iOS.
i use an imac and a macbookpro as well but i only carry ipad in the uni to take notes in classes

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
i use an imac and a macbookpro as well but i only carry ipad in the uni to take notes in classes

Oh then you are covered. And as you have iMac and Macbookpro you can use Numbers and Pages there as well. Just try them out. I think that they should work unless you need something really specific that only Microsoft apps have which is not that often anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.