iPad iPad on 7.1.2 - Worth leaping to 8.1.1 and jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shenan1982, Dec 6, 2014.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I've been holding back for a while now because xCon (the anti-jailbreak-detection tweak for TiVo Streaming App) that I have on my iPad Mini Retina (iOS 7.1.2) wasn't working on 8.x... now it appears to be (unconfirmed about 8.1.1 on iPad Tivo App tho) updated for v40b1... trying to decide if I should take the leap to 8.x from 7.1.2 ... worth it? I know there are a ton of "Should I go 8.1 to 8.1.1?" threads, but this is a bit different. Thoughts?

2. xiwong macrumors member

Took the jump on my iPad Air. Here are my impressions:

New iOS 8 features - I really enjoy custom keyboards, widgets, and SMS relay. As an Android user also, they are something I am very used to and have wanted for a long time.

Jailbreak stability - TaiG 8.1.1 is just as stable as 7.1.2. I have had no crashes, resprings, etc. Obviously, YMMV.

iOS stability - iOS 8 is sort of frustrating. Many features, like SMS relay and call forwarding are a pain to set up because they either work the first time or don't. For me, I had to sign out all of my accounts multiple times, restart, and repeat until it finally worked. I still can't get instant hotspot to ever show up. Finally, the bug that really irritates me is how calendar events not from Google or iCloud are shown in GMT always and adding events adds them to the wrong time. It's a major error.

Other things - Since you don't have an Air 2, you don't have 2GB Ram so safari still struggles to keep tabs open and multitasking apps are cleared from memory just as much as 7.1.2. Battery life is still about the same. The wifi bug has not affected me, but YMMV.

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade.

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I took the leap, and am not looking back. Very pleased with the update. Thanks!