iPad on sale at amazon.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Oct 4, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So...
    If you purchase one from amazon, then you do not have to pay tax. Also amazon is offering free shipping for most iPad models. Why would anyone consider buying one from apple, bestbuy or target store from this point on?

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The 16GB WiFi model costs $499+tax ($540.17 at 8.25% sales tax) through Apple and $544.99 through Amazon, so there isn't a deal to be had here right now.

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

I said most of the models. Also, for some reason, amazon is not selling the 16GB model. They are selling it thru 3rd party supplier. I don't think 16GB is the most popular model here, anyway. Most of people have 32GB or higher.

4. tastychicken macrumors member

It's because amazon doesn't have it in stock. When amazon doesn't have a item in stock, it fills in the price with a reseller. Just wait for a little bit and you'll see it for $499 no tax.

5. prot0type macrumors regular

Wouldn't really call it a sale. If that's the case I got mine on "sale" back in May from MacMall.com as I didn't have to pay tax or for shipping either.

As for why purchasing from any of the listed b&m stores, well Apple does offer the refurb for less and if you're a student, the discount available does help take a few bucks off.

BestBuy offers a trade in program, so you can trade in older electronics on their list to help bring the cost down. Something else to keep in mind, now that Target and BestBuy carry the ipad, I can expect to see some competing offers such as gift cards or bundled accessories to attract potential buyers.

Amazon is still a good option though, provided that it is Amazon and not a 3rd party supplier.

Something else I forgot, if you're a reward zone member for BestBuy, even a 16gb wi-fi model is already enough for a $10 rewards cert.