iPad optimized in iOS 4.2 Beta 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aduteau, Sep 29, 2010.

1. aduteau macrumors 6502a

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Good to know - after using a memory management program on the iPad you can really tell that the 256 MB of memory is a limitation.

3. Maziar macrumors 6502

4. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

it definitely feels smoother so far, only a short time to play with it so far though. thanks for the link

5. aduteau thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah this is sweet, I was scared that iOS 4 would be getting RAM hungry for the ipad ... and it looks like its the opposite ! :)

6. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Maybe I'm coming from Nexus One, but my new iPad with 4.2 Beta 2 seems laggy at times with multi-tasking. It simply doesn't have the snappy feelings of an iPhone 4. I had one tab open under Safari and everytime I switched back, the page reloaded. Even the App Store crashed several times on me. This is kinda sad. But hey, we all saw this coming when iPad was released. ;)

IMO 256MB RAM is acceptable for non-multitasking iOS, but it's simply insufficient for iOS4.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

I love how you are judging the final 4.2 OS based on Beta 2. Of course it's laggy and buggy. But iOS 4.1 works amazingly well on my iPhone 3GS and that only has 256 megs of RAM.

So, I think, when 4.2 finally comes out, then you should be making the statement about 256Megs of RAM and iOS 4.

8. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I stand by my statement that iOS 4 is a lot smoother on iPhone 4 (with its 512 MB RAM) than on iPAd & 3GS due to the significant RAM difference. There is only so much optimization can do; the limit here is simply hardware.

9. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Feels way snappier. I'm more than happy with this beta

10. gatearray macrumors 65816

See melman101's post above.

You're really jumping the gun a bit by judging the current beta version by it's lags and bugs. And yes, iOS 4 runs beautifully on a 3GS. For a beta, 4.2 on iPad is a pretty nice version of what's to come, but it's far from a finished product.

BTW, I think the OS itself is allocated a certain amount of RAM to do it's thing, and this is standardized across all afore mentioned devices. Do you believe that the iPhone 4 is given more system RAM to play with and that's what's making it smoother? iPad has a faster processor, which should make it in the end, "snappier" than my iP4. Time will tell...

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

This I think is something really important, let's hope this keeps improving!

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Despite these improvements, the iPad still fails at loading the boston.com Big Picture.

13. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Lets hope you are right. It's just that this is already a Beta-2 release. It's not an Alpha release. So this thing is pretty much finished. I doubt that much can be changed in the next two weeks or so before the final build is released.

14. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

This RAM thing is so overplayed. I have a 3GS with no problems on 4.1. I kind of wish we didn't know about the RAM specs so I didn't have to read about all of the "sluggishness". I bet if no one knew the spec then you wouldn't hear anyone complaining. They would be too busy complaining about why doesn't the iPad have Retina. Oh wait, they complain about that too.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Release is November. Why do you think the final will be in two weeks?

16. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Hello.....Some common sense thinking going on. Why aren't more doing that?

17. tastychicken macrumors member

I think he's talking about the golden master/RTM.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, but they don't release GM a month before customer release.

19. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

When does it seem laggy?!? It feels almost or just as good as my iPhone 4, and this is still a beta. Maybe you're purposely putting your iPad through multitasking hell, which is why you're seeing some differences. But as far as normal use is concerned, it's working perfectly.

20. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'll be honest I think the amount of ram is way overplayed about the iPad not being able to multitask. However I would say beta 2 was very very laggy for me. I used a nice utility called Activity Monitor and it showed about 80% of the ram being wired. After shutting down and restarting the wired ram is about 40% and the iPad is much more responsive. This was just normal apps and not using the double-click for the most part. So I completely believe those saying it's running slow for them. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed.

21. chrisk1250 macrumors member

Have you used the new ipod Touch? It feels just as snappy as the iPhone 4, despite having 256MB of RAM.

You can't compare the iPad to the 3GS just because they have the same amount of RAM. They have different processors; or does that not even matter?

22. gatearray macrumors 65816

That's an excellent point, chrisk1250.

When the iPod Touch was refreshed a couple of weeks ago with an (underclocked) A4 and 256mb RAM, that really should have quieted once and for all the RAM "conspiracy theorists" in these boards. iOS 4 runs great on the Touch, and once it's out of beta for the iPad, I expect we'll be able to say the same.