iPad or 11"MBA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BealeSt32, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BealeSt32 macrumors newbie

I just got an iMac so all the power is there. However I just sold my 13" MBP. It just felt heavy for carrying around to class. So should I get an iPad 2 or 11"MBA? I like the iPad cause its smaller and I can still take notes with it since I have a stylus and use apps like evernote etc.

2. RafaT97 macrumors newbie

Since you got an iMac at home you can do homework and research with that and since in school all you will have to do is take notes the iPad 2 is a better choice than the MBA...unless you need to use some more adavanced tasks that are better with an actual computer....

3. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

The iPad is not really a device you can use for heavy note-taking...if you need something for notes, then the MBA would serve that purpose much better than the iPad. And the 11" MBA isn't a whole lot bigger than the iPad. Definitely not hard to carry around.

4. Obi Wan Kenobi, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

This is an interesting question now. I have seen so many people recently who have made the switch from a laptop to an ipad, and none of them regret it.

One thing that puts me off the ipad2, is that once you start doing a lot of typing, (and so start using the ipad as more than just a toy) you really need a keyboard. I saw a guy yesterday with an ipad2, a stand for this ipad2, and a BT keyboard, and I just thought that once you get that far, you might as well buy the MBA.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

If your gonna bring the iPad 2 with you to take notes, bring yourself a Bluetooth keyboard. Cause typing on the screen for long times does hurt. (At least I can't take it for a long time)

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Since the iPad costs less I'd get one and try it out for taking notes. You'll find out very quickly if it is ideal for you to take notes. I've heard either side and personally I think a keyboard is far superior to the iPad + stylus for taking notes (but you can also get a keyboard for the iPad).

If it doesn't work, return it and pay a few hundred more and get a MBA 11".

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I wouldn't recommend the iPad for heavy note taking to be honest. I've tried to use it for writing, but after about a page I switch to my MBP. Typing becomes frustrating with the touchscreen, and even with a good quality stylus, the screen just isn't accurate enough for anything extensive.

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I agree. You coulld get a BT keyboard but it's a hassle. MBA would do a better job of taking in extensive notes.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'd get the MacBook Air, the iPad isn't very good for note taking.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like you just need to learn how to use keyboard shortcuts.

11. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

it's your call first I would put a poll to the thread to get a visual representation.

My friend sold all his computers and now only uses the iPad2 with a smart cover. it's great although typing on a touchscreen with limited viewing space is not for everyone. The ipad is great to walk around with and pull out quickly to check something on the web. It's more of a data consumption device.

the MBA will be great for talking notes but not so much when you want to look up something quickly as it is a bit bigger and heavier.

Personally I'd get the air but what for the update to get better hardware or a price cut.

12. lomby macrumors regular

i would get the ipad 2, and buy a third party keyboard dock (zagg.com has some that look pretty decent):)

13. mfr1340 macrumors regular

I have both, its great,

They work well together, and ios5 will make it even better!

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Most iPad cases act as a stand, so there's really no need to get a separate stand.

As Steve Jobs said, for the 1% of the time you need a BT keyboard, you can just carry the keyboard along. But for the other 99% you still enjoy the benefits of the iPad (ie battery life, form factor, ultra portability, true instant on, etc)

15. erawsd macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you, I ended up going with the iPad.

With a bluetooth keyboard I can't see how the iPad would be worst for note taking -- it may even be better since you can annotate with drawings/charts/graphs much easier with your stylus. Also, are you only ever going to take notes on it? -- any reading gives potential points to the iPad, especially if you can load your books onto it. Personally, I spend more time reviewing my notes than I do writing them so having to whip out a MBA each time I want to do that is not appealing.

I also reject the idea of "if you're going so far to use a KB, you might as well get a real MBA". For one thing, the MBA is ~$500 more. Secondly, even with the KB in your bag, you've still got a lighter and more space friendly package.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1 Buy it
    2 Try it
    3 Return it if you don't like it.

17. CHSeifert, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

1. Best
    2. Advice
    3. Yet

:)
    ----

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this is the ipad forum of course your going to get more that say the ipad. personally I love the 11 inch air. once i got the air I didnt even bother using my ipad 1 anymore. I suspect the same would happen with an ipad 2. dont get me wrong ipad 2 is an awesome device and even has a ton of games that i like but i still prefer the 11 inch air. im more productive on it.