iPad or 13" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhortyPhour, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PhortyPhour macrumors newbie

PhortyPhour

Now that I have finally decided which section of the forums I should post this in (I was debating between the Macbook Pro or the iPad categories) I was wondering what you would buy.

A Macbook Pro 13" or an iPad?

I understand that by getting the iPad you would be saving money and maybe it's more innovative but is the Macbook worth the extra cash?

Also would taking into consideration whether or not you already own an iPhone or iTouch affect your final decision.

Thanks in advance for the feedback:)

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

What do you need it for? They are two completely different things. An ipad will not do nearly any half of the stuff the MBP is capable of.

Personally, I exchanged my ipad a while ago for a 13" MBP and have not looked back.

3. PhortyPhour thread starter macrumors newbie

PhortyPhour

Well I already have an iPhone and a laptop but my laptop is slightly too big to pick up and put in a bag to use, for lack of better words, "on the go".

So I would like something that I would be able to be taken with me wherever I go.

Thanks

4. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Are you going to be doing more than browsing the web and playing games? Do you want a keyboard?

5. cys920622 macrumors member

That almost sounds like you're asking, should I buy an icebox or a fridge?
    They're not really comparable. If you're looking to get work done with whatever you buy, iPad isn't really going to be the logical choice, since it seems to be more of a luxury thing, rather than a workhorse. The MBP on the other hand, can do pretty much anything you throw at it (for work, anyway, unless you do video editing...), and a 13" should fit in your bag just fine.

6. upsbrown macrumors newbie

Unless you're into reading ebooks, I personally see no reason to buy an iPad. It's the iPod/phone's big brother. You can do the same thing on your iPod/phone as you can on the iPad. Get the MBP and don't look back! I know quite a few people who bought the iPad thinking it was something spectacular, until they got home and realized they had it's little brother right next to them. Needless to say the majority of them took it back. It's still not a computer. Until they make an iPad that I can do everything that I can do on a regular Mac/PC, I know I won't be purchasing one.

7. Protonk macrumors newbie

if you already have a laptop and need something more portable, consider the ipad. There seems to be some furor here over the ipad not being able to perform all the tasks a full blown computer can. Not sure where people got the impression that the ipad was meant to do that.

I have a laptop at home and use an ipad at school. the ipad doesn't do everything a laptop does but I don't NEED everything a laptop does all the time.

Your needs may vary, of course.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I vote for the 13" macbook pro, it just does so much more.

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Well as somebody already stated the iPad cant do anything that the iPod touches cannot, and it does less than an iPhone does. Not to mention the iPhone 4 has even better specs than iPads (double the RAM, awesome video camera, and retina display).

I would at least wait for an update to the iPad.

But ya, get a 13", its an awesome little laptop that is just about as portable as an ipad : )

10. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Was just about to post the exact same thread. I had the previous 13" 2.26 MBP which I really enjoyed owning, so I know I would no doubt be pleased with the new 2.4 13" with its improved graphics and battery (+ slight speed increase).

I have a 24" iMac 2.4C2D as my main computer and thats suffices performance wise for anything I do. My portable computer (of which I don't currently have) will only be used for the following:

1: Long internet browsing sessions on sofa
    2: Watching lots of streamed movies/TV
    3: Very light photo work (just iphoto really)
    4: Lots of Google Earth
    5: Ocassional trips away/long haul flights

Now to my mind an iPad can cope with the above tasks without too much complaining and the 32GB Wi-fi only version that I think would be the sweet spot for me would cost me £499. I can get a friend to purchase a 13" 2.4 MBP from the higher education site for me, this would cost £858 so I'm looking at a £357 difference.

So looking at it from a cost angle the iPad would seem to be the logical choice. But I feel I may be getting pulled along with the hype and newness of the iPad.

Struggling with this decision for weeks now............:confused:

11. erasr macrumors 6502

Exact same scenario I have!

I started with thinking the iPad would be cool to have and even pull out for presentations at work. But in the last week I've thought with my head. The 13" mbp is a must.

Think about one year down the line, I will no doubt need a laptop more than an iPad. It's sensible, yet I agree the iPad is luxury.

Go for the mbp.

12. PhortyPhour thread starter macrumors newbie

PhortyPhour

Thanks for your feedback guys, I think the MBP probably is the better choice.
    After reading that the iPhone can do more than the iPad it would be stupid for me to still get one. I'm glad I was able to start this thread to help you two other guys that are in the same situation out as well.

Thanks again