iPad or a second macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ruffian829, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying a MacBook pro at the end of the summer. I'll have one year of law school left, and after I am done my husband will be starting online courses for his masters- so we'll need something decent. Right now we are sharing a white MacBook. Its a great little laptop (has out lasted two of hubby's pc's in just 3 years) but I'm thinking of selling it and putting the money towards an iPad. I'm figuring if we are getting by now off of one computer and our iPhones, we may be just fine with a MacBook and an iPad vs two MacBooks.

I'm just looking for any insight- would it be more practical to have two MacBooks? For those of you who have an iPad and a MacBook which do you find yourself using more (for personal reasons, not including work related uses)? I feel like I use my phone more than my macbook to begin with unless i'm doing school work... it its just more accessible.

2. MrViking macrumors member

My spouse and I share an iPad an both have a MacBook Pro.

Basically one computer and one iPad is enough though. I use the iPad for my browsing, facebook, twitter, mail etc etc. When I need to do some serious work (editing etc) i use my Mac.

Downside of the iPad is that's its an iPad not a wePad. So u install a twitter/facebook/insert-name-here--App and one account will be in there..So one has to use to the browser whilst the other can use the apps..

3. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks MrViking... I never would have thought about the fact that the apps obviously won't work for both of us at the same time...

4. Mumstalker macrumors member

You can use, the say twitter app, and your partner can use the Tweetdeck. Or there is Jailbreak extension that adds users to the iPad

5. kelbyuk macrumors newbie

Echofon Pro - allows multiple twitter accounts
    MyPad + - allows you to choose a facebook profile on launch.

Having said that, I just bought my wife a white iPad2 just for convenience as I take mine to work with me and use it for testing websites in the evening.