iPad or Galaxy Tablet

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr.Galaxy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mr.Galaxy macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I am a happy owner of both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S. I am very pleased with both of them to be honest, and maybe I need to admit the galaxy S is a bit better (don't swear at me please, I know 90% of you will not agree...:)) Anyway, I just wanted to ask you what do you think of the tablets now. I can't afford to buy both of them, so I need to choose: Galaxy S - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=galaxy+tablet&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7627592874&ref=pd_sl_11tw3qdz2g_b - or iPad - http://www.shoppydoo.co.uk/prices-notebooks-ipad.html -?
    Thanks,
    Mr.G:apple:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Comes down to your own personal choice
    Both have their advantages and features

I would wait and see what the second generation of iPad has to offer

Me? I would get the iPad, hands down
    I wouldn't even look elsewhere
    But that's me

3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Check them both out in person. I believe the Galaxy tablet is smaller than the iPad and slightly thicker. It's basically like using your Galaxy S phone but with a much larger screen. If you are a big fan of the Galaxy S, you'll likely enjoy the Galaxy S tablet.

4. VTMac macrumors 6502

Personally I can't imagine anyone seriously considering a Galaxy Tab at this point in time. It's woefully underspec'ed / over priced today, IMO. Especially in light of the small screen. That small screen saves them a TON of money. It should be much cheaper. The iPad on the other hand is at the end of it's life cycle and is starting to get long in the tooth from a spec's standpoint. Both iPad 2 and Xoom are right around the corner. They will both release at similar price points to the current Galaxy Tab with specs that absolutely blow it out of the water.

So personally, I wouldn't buy any tablet at the moment unless I HAD to.

5. RedWings macrumors regular

All comes down to personal preference.

After using the iPad for a while, I think it is the perfect size for a tablet. The Galaxy Tablet seems like a large phone. My EVO 4G already fills that gap.

If you really like the Android OS, I'd probably wait to see how the Xoom and other Honeycomb based tablets will do.

6. Nishi100, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I would wait for the Motorola Xoom, which has much better features than the iPad, and the iPad 2's rumoured features. It's also running the Tegra 2 - dual core.

The Galaxy Tab 2, is rumoured to have similar specs to the Xoom, but just in a 7 inch size (running Honeycomb). Also, it's rumoured to have a dual core Tegra 2.

The Optimus Pad is rumoured to have a 9 inch screen, but a 3D no glasses display (like the 3DS) and similar specs to the Xoom. Also, it's rumoured to run the dual core Tegra 2 chip.

The iPad doesn't win in terms of specs, but the apps win it over, for me.

If you're not as "obsessed" with quality apps, then the cool UI of Honeycomb and the "extra" specs (like 5mp camera, instead of 1mp [rumour]) and cool "firsts" (Optimus Pad - 3D display, like the 3DS) and, of course, flash, then the android tablet is for you.

Choose between:
    7inch

9-10inch

and

Android - cool UI, flash, but not as many quality apps optimised for tablets.

iOS - simple, good apps but no flash or customisability.

and

iPad - no camera (the iPad 2's camera isn't rumoured to be good - 1mp), no flash, no HDMI, micro-usb and the extra features come late - but are very good (FaceTime - good concept) etc., but is smooth, beautifully designed, lots of accessories and the WOW factor.

Android tablets - packet full of features that are firsts (3D display), but not as smooth (one company make the hardware, Google makes the software), not as much integration with the software.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personal preference.
    I have a co-worker who had both, the iPad first and then the Galaxy Tab.

He didn't like the Ipad but he loves the Galaxy. I think the 7" makes it more useful in some instances over the larger iPad.

Personally, given that it appears that honeycomb requires a dual core processor and the galaxy tab does not have this. I'd not buy one, but wait for other android based tablets that run honeycomb to come out - provided you want to go the android route.

I went with the iPad because of the size, the apps, the ease of use and mostly because it fits my needs better then the android tablet do.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Galaxy Tab has no advantage over the iPad at all. I would not buy Galaxy TAB ever. I do not trust samsung USA. They are the worst companies I have ever dealt with in tech.

9. utl768 macrumors 6502

galaxy is a far superior product in everyway

only reason i chose ipad over it is cuz i dont wanna pay for it montly

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

So I take it you've never dealt with HP then ? In all fairness I've never dealt with Samsung.

11. darngooddesign, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you root, not all Android phones get the latest OS updates right away. Many won't get 2.3 at all.. I would wait until there is concrete proof that the Galaxy Tablet is going to get the Honeycomb OS.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Huh? You already have a Galaxy S but you want to know which to choose? Am I the only one who thinks this noob post seems an awful lot like spam?

13. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Noob post? Spam? Really? Maybe you don't know that Samsung has a Galaxy S phone as well as a Galaxy S tablet. He has the phone, and is considering getting the tablet. Maybe he's not the noob...:rolleyes:

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I understand his skepticism. If the OP has both as phones, he should have an idea of which he'd prefer as a tablet.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If it were me I would wait until some other tablets hit the market.

The Xoom is supposed to be out soon and iPad 2 will be announced soon. That should mean lower prices on iPad 1 and the Galaxy Tab.

But I already chose the iPad so take that for what you will. Ultimately the Tab and the iPad are very different devices because of the screen size difference. The entire surface area of the tab fits into the usable screen space of the iPad. The tab is also lighter but a little thicker.

It comes down to what size screen you want and which platforms apps you like better.

16. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I played with a Galaxy Tab at Best Buy and decided I liked the iPad better. Mostly because the iOS interface is a lot smoother than Android. Also the screen is a little too small for my specific purposes, although I would like to own a second device in that size to carry around with me. If only Apple made something the size of the Galaxy Tab, and I could afford it :)

17. iLuvPS3 macrumors newbie

I had a galaxy tab for about a week. I didn't find it laggy or unresponsive in any way. I also thought the size was perfect because it was much more portable than the ipad.

I signed up for one month of the $20/1gb plan and received a $60 bill from verizon which included the activation fee (which was waived at best buy) and cellular fees and taxes. It was also activated like a cell phone and assigned a number, so apparently Verizon doesn't think it's a tablet. This means to go month to month a new number has to be assigned each time data is activated. I had no clue messages weren't included in the plan and was charged for two incoming messages intended for whoever had the number before it was assigned to my tab.

This along with the news that the tab is going to get a "refresh" soon with a faster processor and better camera made me appreciate the relative ease and stability in owning an ipad. As much as I wanted to avoid having my tablet and phone both be from apple, something has to be said for ease of use. I traded up and got a 32 gb 3g ipad for a couple hundred more, and can use a TRUE month to month plan without paying cellular taxes and activation fees each month. I miss the freedom of android (and the apps aren't as bad as some say here), but until we see a true android tablet with TRUE month to month data without some bs small print i'll stick with the ipad. I like the xoom but wouldn't touch Verizon with a 10 ft pole after my experience.

If you do decide to get it, get it on Sprint or Tmobile.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Hmm let's see...someone with only 1 post that contains a link to a commercial site you've never heard of. Nah, couldn't be spam. My bad.

19. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

20. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I hope you weren't coming to this site for an unbiased opinion.

21. celo48 macrumors 6502a

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've heard of that site. It's quite popular here.

No referee urls too so one can only assume this is a genuine question.

23. Synthion macrumors regular

If you are a Fandroid, (note: not derogatory), I would hold off for either the XOOM, or G-PAD from LG. I used a Galaxy Tab, and to tell you the truth, it wasn't horrible. Laggy, yes, plastic-y, yes, awkward, yes, but I can see the appeal. Overall, wait. If you are going for iOS, wait. For android, wait. I normally don't suggest waiting, but this is an exception.

I am honestly surprised with all the people on here that don't mind android! I was expecting a bunch of Hate-droids, huh. :)

24. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Strange how he hasn't replied to any of our posts yet either. Hmm...