iPad or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecharlesmoore, Sep 25, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

OK, So by the time the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 comes out, I will be able to choose which one to purchase. Now, i'm only planning on buying 1 of the two because of data plans and crap. I have no idea whether the iPhone or iPad will be better...

I have a MacBook Pro and it LITERALLY changed my life (sounds dramatic but whatever) I love this thing, and use it hourly. I also have an iPhone 3GS and it is TRULY OK. My ignorant iPhone's volume bar broke off and for a long period of time I used my fingernails to adjust the volume (not even joking) and now it's just not even trying to work. Another problem is that the sleep/wake button also fell off. I only use my iPhone for texting, the Google +/Twitter app, Calling (of course) and my alarm. Ever since I got my MBP i've become a boring phone user, lol.

Now, with the iPad (which I have never owned) I am really impressed by iOS5 and I love the newsstand app, message app, and the iPod. I also love how big the screen is (it makes those apps like newsstand look better).

Now, my purchase is based off of you all, should I just buy the iPhone 5 and replace the 3GS (which, as we all now, come 3-4 years will not even work anymore) or should I get the iPad 3 and keep the 3GS?

Thanks to all who answer.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

iPad won't be out till early-mid next year. Remember, 2011 is the year of the iPad 2. So unless you can wait several months then get the iPhone 5 (assuming it comes out Oct). Plus, you clearly need a new phone.

For me, if the iPhone 5 isn't released then I'll end up buying an iPad 2. I have a working iP4 anyway.

3. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I feel like a tablet and a phone serve two different purposes, sort of like iPod shuffle vs iPod touch. Yes you can listen to music from both devices, but the use case scenario are meant for two different purposes, so its rather hard to say that one is better than the other.

Now if your question were to be iPad vs MacBook X, then I can easily recommend an iPad.

I love my iPad 2, I use it on a daily basis for many things and I love the extra screen real-estate in comparison to the iPhone, and iOS 5 is going to just improve that experience, but given the option I will always pick my iPhone over my iPad.

5. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for that! Totally get it now. :{D

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you have a MacBook then to me getting an iPad seems worthless if you are also after the iphone

7. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

I hear ya. Definitely doing what you all are saying :{D

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Also consider the type of Apps you would be using.

Other than a few similar apps like rdio or angry birds, I have very different apps on my iPad than I do on my iPhone.

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

10. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

HA! I wish. It's either one or the other. I have other priorities to put my money on. This is just a leisure purchase that is supposed to last for the next 3-4 years (not kidding).

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

If the differentiation spectrum is like iPhone -> iPad -> MacBook, then get an iPhone since it has a bigger difference in practical uses from a MacBook. I have never been a firm believer in tablets since they do a half-ass job of a laptop. True, tablets have a few advantages like being more portable, but a laptop can still do so much more by comparison.

If data charges is your worry in the longer run, then get an iPad. You can cover more bases with a MacBook + iPhone combo than MacBook + iPad combo. We all need a phone in our pocket.

12. mobutt macrumors 6502

I love my iPad but my iPhone is something I couldn't live without.