Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
So after owning a MacBook Pro and iPhones I finally decided to get another addition to my apple collection and purchase a iPad air 32gb wifi only model and this is my experience so far.......

Three days after purchase I started having issues with safari crashing, upon crashing it would go back to the boot screen showing the White apple logo and then return to a locked home screen. Diagnostic report always showed low memory errors which I found highly strange as the iPad leterally had no music, no additional apps yet and only roughly 30 photos. After many hours arguing with apple they replaced it. Now ios 8 has come along a couple weeks later and now when safari crashes it flashes a blue screen before going to black and the Apple logo appears!

I have I just purchased the worst product currently on the market? How do I rectify this issues?

Oh and last crash came up as reset-counter. Mean anything to anyone?

Last edited:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
So after owning a MacBook Pro and iPhones I finally decided to get another addition to my apple collection and purchase a iPad air 32gb wifi only model and this is my experience so far.......

Three days after purchase I started having issues with safari crashing, upon crashing it would go back to the boot screen showing the White apple logo and then return to a locked home screen. Diagnostic report always showed low memory errors which I found highly strange as the iPad leterally had no music, no additional apps yet and only roughly 30 photos. After many hours arguing with apple they replaced it. Now ios 8 has come along a couple weeks later and now when safari crashes it flashes a blue screen before going to black and the Apple logo appears!

I have I just purchased the worst product currently on the market? How do I rectify this issues?

How to resolve it? Post a rant on Mac Rumors or take it into an Apple store. Up to you really brah.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Backup your iPad. Reset it to default and setup as a new iPad, DO NOT INSTALL ANY APPS AT THIS POINT. Try using safari and see if the problem persists. If it does then you have a faulty iPad.

If it works fine, add your Apps one at a time and after each one is added test Safari and you should be able to work out which app is causing the problem.

Once you have identified the issue or had your iPad replaced, restore your backup and remove the offending APP if required.

Another thought, does this happen on ALL websites or just a particular website?

(I have the iPad Air with LTE and do not have these issues other than Safari pages reloading when I have lots of tabs open.)

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Yeah only helpful comments guys, the obvious has already been done.

The obvious has already been done? Ok... So you took it to an Apple Store? What did they say?

Have you restored it to new with iTunes?
What iOS version are you running?

You seem to have an isolated incident, and may possibly be in need of a replacement.

I would restore first, see if that fixes your problem, and if not, go to the Apple Store and have them replace it for you.

----------

Backup your iPad. Reset it to default and setup as a new iPad, DO NOT INSTALL ANY APPS AT THIS POINT. Try using safari and see if the problem persists. If it does then you have a faulty iPad.

If it works fine, add your Apps one at a time and after each one is added test Safari and you should be able to work out which app is causing the problem.

Once you have identified the issue or had your iPad replaced, restore your backup and remove the offending APP if required.

Another thought, does this happen on ALL websites or just a particular website?

(I have the iPad Air with LTE and do not have these issues other than Safari pages reloading when I have lots of tabs open.)

Apps are sandboxed and thus would not affect his experience outside of the apps.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
The obvious has already been done? Ok... So you took it to an Apple Store? What did they say?

Have you restored it to new with iTunes?
What iOS version are you running?

You seem to have an isolated incident, and may possibly be in need of a replacement.

I would restore first, see if that fixes your problem, and if not, go to the Apple Store and have them replace it for you.

----------

Apps are sandboxed and thus would not affect his experience outside of the apps.

Any app that uses safari as a browser can cause issues with safari. I had this with Facebook at one point. Whenever Facebook was running safari wouldn't work. Removed the Facebook app, problem solved, this was back on iOS6. Misbehaving apps can still have a knock on effect on the operating system.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Any app that uses safari as a browser can cause issues with safari. I had this with Facebook at one point. Whenever Facebook was running safari wouldn't work. Removed the Facebook app, problem solved, this was back on iOS6. Misbehaving apps can still have a knock on effect on the operating system.

May have been a bug, but that is not how it's designed

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010

The blue flash of death is a known issue on iOS 8 and iPad Air. I too get that when I had updated my iPad Air. What you can do is download official 7.1.2 update file for iPad Air Wifi model from here

Once it is downloaded, fire up itunes, connect your iPad Air and let it appear. You restore it (This way you are going to loose all the data on your iPad be warned). Then hold Shift button on the keyboard and then click on restore. iTunes will prompt you to select the downloaded 7.1.2 firmware file. Select that file you downloaded earlier and after the downgrade is complete, set it up as a new iPad. You will loose all the data on your iPad but install over the apps.

This way, you will not get blue screen of death as iOS 7.1.2 is so much stable and smooth.

iOS will still try to download iOS 8 update file in the background but when it prompts you to upgrade, do not install. Let it remain there for the time being till Apple sorts out the mess and issues further iOS 8 updates. Then install.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013

Did you update it after you took it out of the box?

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
obviously an isolated incident.

i have had the iPad 2, 3, iPad Mini (non-retina) and Air all of them were completely fine. also used/worked with the 4 and mini 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.