iPad or Laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPoopeh, Sep 9, 2010.

1. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

First of all, this isn't for me. It's actually for my mommy. Ever since I got my iPod touch last Christmas, she wanted one. Now that the iPad is out, she really wants that. I asked her why and she gave me the response of, "Because it's like a big iPod Touch and it's cool!". But I'm thinking about asking her if she wants a Macbook instead, since her HP laptop has cracks around the edges.

She pretty much does the basic stuff, like edit her pictures [nothing big], internet, yahoo messenger, & music. Other than that she doesn't do much, but she does use her laptop ALL the time. Is the iPad a good choice for her? Or should I convince her to get a Macbook instead?

2. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

Save $500 and get the iPad. It's great for the basic things. A MacBook does basic things, but if that's all you need, an iPad is all you need. (plus the iPad is super easy to use if you use an iPod touch or iPhone)

3. staticmx macrumors newbie

My mother is 79. I got her an iMac 8 years ago. After it got way too slow, my brother in law gave her an old PC . After that got infested with viruses we got her an iPad for mothers day. She LOVES it!!! For email, facebook, ebay app, amazon app, photos and solitaire. It's so simple for her. She's hooked!!!She hardly calles me for tech support like she did with the iMac and PC. Now when she calls we just talk. In November you will be able to print with the iPad which will be even better! My vote is the iPad...

4. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Haha. Well my mom is actually 32. So I don't think she needs something to be simple for her. She likes a challenge. But I'll have to think about it.

5. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I'm guessing your Mom already has a pretty decent desktop or other home computer. If so, I'd seriously consider the Ipad unless she has a compelling need for a full service computer outside of her home. I love my Ipad, but I can't see it being my primary computer. So if she doesn't have a computer already, go with a laptop.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

From your description, it appears that the iPad would be able to do most/all of what she does on her laptop. Plus, the iPad is much more portable. You could definitely consider getting her an iPad.

7. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Her desktop HP is crap. =/ Runs way too slow. I do agree on the fact that the iPad is more portable... We was thinking about getting her the 32GB version, wifi only.

8. Dooger macrumors 6502

9. hexhead macrumors member

My MacBook' HD crashed last weekend, so my iPad is now my laptop replacement. I wouldn't recommend iPad unless she has another computer too, since you need iTunes access to synch and update it with. Also, you mentioned she likes to manipulate photos, and the iPad's not really set up for that. The iPad is a great addition to another computer in the house.

And if she's going to be going around out of the house with it, get the 3G.

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Do it. I vote iPad as well.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

And it will only get better one day at a time. :)

12. dcymbor macrumors newbie

:eek:My SON is 34. That's really depressing!!

13. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Me too and I love it. Old enough to afford it and young enough to enjoy it...

14. Perihelion macrumors regular

Spent the last 6 hours waiting in line for an iPhone. Lots of people here with laptops all watching movies. After the first three hours, the only device still playing movies is my iPad. Everyone elses battery is toast...

15. Dooger macrumors 6502

Were you a player? I bet you're still in your 40s ;)

Very true dude. I'm trying to avoid kids for as long as possible for that very reason.

+1
    Just one thing though: if there's no hurry perhaps you could wait til the 2G iPad is released?

16. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

For the tasks you list, I think iPad actually offers a BETTER experience than a laptop, and for half the price!

17. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Haha... Age 32 isn't bad is it?? Well anyway, today we went to our local Apple store, and she LOVES it. She likes how it operates and everything. She's really excited for the iPad. ^^