Ipad or laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slicke101, Apr 14, 2010.

1. slicke101 macrumors member

Hey guys.

Been looking around for some reviews and threads about the Ipad vs a laptop. Thing is that my needs are kind of lightweight. Basically what I need is a portabla word processor. And to dish out the money required for a low end MBP (white plastic is a no go) if the Ipad can fulfill my needs.

What do you guys think, cand the Ipad replace a laptop as a wordprocessor? Hopefully someone who owns both could share his/hers opinion :p

Btw i live in Sweden so I dont have the possibility to go to the store and try the Ipad out. And if I dont get the MBP I will get low end iMac and Ipad.

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

If that's the only thing it needs to do, then it should be able to (if you buy Pages -- $9.99)... it's just highly dependant on how well you can type on a virtual keyboard.

Unless you're using two hands to type you won't (likely) be able to type fast enough, I find it's quite good when I have my iPad resting on a surface in terms of typing speed. Worst case scenario if you can't type on the virtual keyboard you get the Apple bluetooth keyboard (or keyboard dock), but that's just more to carry around.

Also, the other thing is, you should make sure (if you can) that Pages on iPad has all the features you need. I could be wrong though, I've never really needed to type long documents.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I would say for your situation iMac and iPad would work...the iPad is very lightweight and portable and if all you need is a portable word processor I think you will love the iPad. As long as you make sure you know the limitations of the iPad ahead of time you will absolutly love it!!

5. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input guys. If i could afford it i would go with a laptop instead. But as a student working part time my finances is not the best.

Im leaning towards the iMac + iPad solution. What i mainly need the portable solution is for some light work on a thesis this fall, and for taking notes in classes. I find typing on my iPhone quite ok so im not worried about typing on the ipad. + there is also that folder that works as a stand that looks ok to me. I guess my biggest concern atm are the limitations of iWorks and how the ipad handles big PDF files. I will try and limit the work with such a files but still want the possibiöity to do so. Any input on this is appreciated :)

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Netbook there are alot of netbooks with almost full size keyboards and you can also do alot more then an iPad for half the price! i Realize your a student and students have to be cool, but the iPad is a bad idea save your money.

7. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

hehe. im going to a school for a formation for social work so the coolnes just wont happen ;)
    i think ill try the ipad out anyways. I was really amazed by the interface on the iPhone and thats why i would like the ipad solution to work :)

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

For school I would go with a laptop and save yourself the time and trouble of trying to adapt the iPad. I have an iPad and would not want to have to use it day in and day out for school work. Now if it's part of a system where you would only use the iPad for basic notes or something...

9. iTeachMath macrumors regular

Keep in mind that an Apple-made keyboard can be purchased for the iPad. However, I have briefly used Pages for the iPad. I could only see it being practical for light word-processing, like class notes. The features are very limited.

Why don't you reconsider the MacBook? It is a good computer -- dont let the plastic body bother you. I have a 5-year old iBook and the body has held up great, including the abuse that I gave it when I drove cross-country (USA).

10. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

The iMac and iPad combination is a very good one.

When I bought my Unibody MacBook Pro it was great for everything I wanted to do, and I thought to myself- I can take my work with me everywhere! but then I found myself just watching movies, or browsing webpages when away from home. In practice, I discovered that I didn't really want to spend my spare moments working. My UMBP was essentially a very portable desktop, that sat on my desk 99% of the time. So I bought an iMac, it's an amazing and elegant computer; the screen is large and gorgeous.

With Pages, Numbers and KeyNote for the iPad, I see the iPad as a wonderful Laptop replacement for "day to day" lightweight work. You could always use your iMac bluetooth keyboard if you want to write a thesis or something.

* I wouldn't recommend the iMac with the 9400m integrated graphics, the performance is underwhelming at best. It just felt like the 9400m was "barely" enough to drive the 1920x1080 resolution, so I went with the ATI HD 4670, which is enough to drive modern games in bootcamp windows, like Dirt 2 and Bad Company 2 with high settings. So go with one of the higher-end iMac's if you do the iMac and iPad combination.

I'm waiting for the 3G iPad's myself. ;)

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I don't think it's iPad or laptop, I think it's iPad and laptop. They are different devices with different purposes. If you think you can make one do the job of the other without frustration, you are going to be disappointed.