iPad or Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kupkakez, Mar 22, 2015.

1. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Right now I'm living off a 6 year old Windows computer. It runs okay but I'm looking to replace it with an Apple something. I purchased a MacBook thinking that would be the ticket but now I'm not so sure! I'm stuck between should I just stick with an iPad or do I "need" a Mac. I'm coming to you for opinions!

I have very basic computing needs: web browsing, online shopping, casual games (think Facebook-esque games which can be achieved through the app store), banking/bill pay, youtube, movies, music (spotify/pandora). I don't do any work on my personal computers I have a separate work provided Windows laptop for all work tasks.

Is it worth it to splurge on a Mac, and if so which model? I do not have a budget. Or am I better suited saving a few bucks and doing it all on the iPad with possibly a keyboard? I do like the idea of just having an iPad but somewhere I have doubts hence the question.

Thoughts/opinions?

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Macbook Air 11" in my opinion.
    iPad would work for you too but I hate web browsing on tablets so I don't recommend it if you spend a lot of time browsing the web.

3. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

You should get the new retina MacBook it actually uses a core m processor which Intel intiallly created for tablets but is actually quite powerful so I think you will enjoy it best of both worlds

4. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

+1 for MacBook Air 11"! Only because you suggested you wanted to use the iPad with a keyboard.

However, for your basic tasks you would get by with an iPad Air 1, which I think is the best value iPad right now.

5. fedeARTPOP macrumors newbie

MAC!

since you already have a big portable screen (your iPhone 6+) , I think you will enjoy better a laptop...MBAir or maybe the new MB (which I found expensive for that specs), the better option would be the MBAir 13", light, thin, beautiful and portable ♥.♥

PS: I have an iPad and I was thinking about selling it ´cause now I want a MBPro,,,and let me tell you...I think iPads may be the worthless Apple product xD

6. kupkakez thread starter macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Thanks for all the input everyone! Much appreciated

7. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

8. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Worthless Apple product? Obviously you are entitled to an opinion, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a worthless product.

I have an iPad.. And I would recommend he go with that mainly for the convenience of it. I enjoy my iPad... Has a great choice of apps designed specifically for it. I'd say go with the Air 2.. 2 GB of ram makes for solid iOS peformance.

9. fedeARTPOP macrumors newbie

well it can be kinda worthless, almost every iPad app you can get it on your iPhone or in any Mac, and shes comparing iPad to a Mac, and a Mac will be always more productive than an iPad ;)

10. NYCkid macrumors newbie

NYCkid

well it just boils down to whether you'd prefer to hold a handheld, or something bigger?