iPad or MacBook Air for my uses?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PDFierro, Sep 4, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm going to be getting the iPhone 5 when it releases, and I'm looking for something to complement it perhaps. I currently don't have my own computer.

I had bought a new 11-inch ultimate Air but ended up returning it because I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do yet.

I'm probably the typical user, I do lots of consuming but I also do screenwriting. In some ways I want an iPad more than I want an Air again, but then I also know that an Air might be better for me right now. Though, the screenwriting software I use has a full-featured iPad app coming out soon that will be no different from its desktop version.

I also watch a heavy amount of video, which is why I'm hoping for a 64GB iPhone. But I think I would like to keep most, if not all, of my entertainment on the iPhone.

I guess part of me deciding between the two would be how much storage space I would like to use. I could spring for 256GB again, but I think I would find it freeing to only have 64GB of space on the Air. And I'm okay with never having all of my videos stored locally, there are just a few essential ones. So the iCloud solution also works for me.

So any reason for someone like me to have an Air instead of an iPad, especially if the software I use daily is coming to the iPad? I guess it's all a matter of preference, whether I want the actual keyboard and OS X or if I want to completely do the whole post-PC thing.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

YOu will probably need a bluetooth keyboard to use with your iPad. This almost destroys the portability of the iPad compared to the MacBook Air, but you already had a MacBook Air, and didn't like it, so...

3. toobizy macrumors newbie

Easy decision

This seems like a no-brainer to me. I would definitely use the MB Air if I was going to be screenwriting. The combination of an integrated keyboard and trackpad will make it much easier to input text and make corrections. I would find an iPad frustrating for this purpose.

And I would max it out with storage space, just because I like to keep all my music, movies, photos etc in one place.

4. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. Yeah, I have been leaning toward an Air again myself. And I did like the Air, I just wanted to wait it out. And probably should have gotten a i5 instead of i7.

The iPad has some advantages, but I might be more happy with the Air. Just need to look at how much video I would want to put on the Air if I got, and how I would use it for other purposes since I will have an iPhone also. Could either do a lot or a little.