iPad or MacBook Air for work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Martylaa, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Martylaa macrumors member

I work away and we have wifi at work, we have a iMac and iPad 2 at home, question is do I get a iPad 3 or MacBook air 13.
    I will be using it for emails, games, watching films/shows, Internet browsing, FaceTime with home. I may also need to do some office work.
    What should I go for?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

You could actually answer the question yourself ... You have an iMac and iPad2. So you know what software is around and could compare.

If your office work include creation of big files you might be better with MBA. If its mainly mail and/or web based iPad would be ok, too.

What exactly are your tasks ?

3. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

I will have to use Citrix for work access of emails, yeah I think the Air is going to be the better option to be honest.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

What about taking the iPad 2 with you once to work and see how that works out? If it doesn't work out, you can still get a Macbook Air. And if it actually does work out, you can get an additional iPad. :)

5. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that won't happen the misses doesn't really let the iPad outta her sight I work away for 2 weeks at a time...

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Citrix is actually fine with both; but MBA will have the advantage of bigger screen and keyboard. Easier for a long day at work

7. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I think the Macbook Air would be a better option, especially if you need to do Office work. Yeah there are Office apps for iOS but for work nothing beats a laptop really. Typing on an iPad isn't all that great IMO. I was using my dad's iPad the other day and I found the on screen keyboard very uncomfortable. What kind of games do you play?

8. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

9. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

In that case then the MacBook Air would probably be better. I don't know if there are football manager apps for iPad. Do online poker sites use Flash?

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

MBA. The iPad is pretty much non-suited for serious work.

11. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

Had an offer of a 2010 13" 4GB Ram 128ssd drive, would this be enough for me, it's a good second hand price with warranty....

12. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

That sounds pretty good, how much did you get offered for it? Only thing is Facetime. Does it come with SL? When did OSX first support it?

13. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

What's SL?
    If I can't use FaceTime it'll be no good for me.

14. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6). Best thing is to ask the seller if there's a FaceTime app on it or if it supports FaceTime. I'm not sure what OSX version it comes with or when FaceTime first appeared on it. If the seller has upgraded it to Lion then it should be able to do it.

15. Martylaa thread starter macrumors member

The model spec says it has a FaceTime camera so hoping so, thanks for pointers, still feel I want a 2011 model but this MA b too Goodall price to turn down....

16. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

That sounds like progress. Ask the seller if the FaceTime application is installed on the Mac or if they can check that it is. How much have you been offered the Air for?

17. jumbopain macrumors newbie

I have both the iPad and MacBook Air. I reach for the air every time - whether it be work or browsing the internet. The ONLY exception is when i have to annotate PDFs or read my magazines/kindle.

correct me if im wrong, but the 2010 Airs are intel core 2 duo? definitely go for mid 2011 with back lit keyboard and the sandy bridge core i5. they are faster and the back lit keyboard is nice to have.

18. iandi macrumors newbie

I have an ipad 3, MPBr and a 2011 MBA....the MBA is the one that I wind up taking to work most of the time (never the ipad).

19. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

OP what did you decide on in the end? The iPad or the MBA?