Ipad or Macbook? I need some advice.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blastingas10, May 21, 2012.

1. blastingas10 macrumors member

Sorry if there's already a thread like this, I'm new here and I'm just looking for some advice on my specific question.

To start things off, I'm looking to get a new ipad or macbook and I'm not sure which to get. The price of the ipad has really been convincing me to go with it.

To give you an idea of what I'll be using it for:

I'm a pretty casual user, nothing too serious. The main things I'll be doing is typical web browsing, watching videos on youtube, listening to music and recording music via the Garageband app. That's it. And maybe some minimal app downloading and game playing.

The amount of space on the ipads has been the most negative thing I've heard about them, but I really think 16gb would be plenty for me. I have all my music on my iphone, so I don't plan on loading the ipad with music, maybe just a few hundred songs. I don't do any kind of document creating or word processing. I don't have or won't be taking a lot of photos. I might just go with the 32gb to be safe, but I think 16gb would be fine. What do y'all think?

I've heard that the macbook version of Garageband is a lot better than the app. But I have the Garageband app on my iphone and I really like it and am really impressed with it. I like the simplicity of it. I'm not looking to do any professional level recording, just record some guitar tracks, add some effects and loops.

So considering that this is all I'll be doing, is there really any reason for me to spend twice as much money and get the Macbook?

2. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

No, I use an iPad as my main computer and I love it. Google play allows you to upload your music to the cloud and play it from any computer, and the iPad is included in that. So the 16gb iPad is plenty for me, and I can listen to my music anywhere. Save the money, go with the iPad :) :apple:

3. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Money actually is a pretty big factor In this, I forgot to mention. It's gonna hurt me to spend that much on a MacBook.

Could you provide a link or some more information about this "google play"?

4. gregrose macrumors 6502

I have 16g iPad 2 & it's perfect. Got a ton of apps too a lot are music related apps since I play keys.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

6. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have a desktop pc and pretty crappy little laptop, but It runs pretty good. I can't move the laptop, though. The power chord is broke and comes unplugged anytime i move it, so it's pretty Much like a desktop. I guess the battery is messed up, too, because if it's unplugged for 5 minutes it dies. Why do you ask?

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You will still need a computer to "prep" the ipad to make it ready to use, such as transferring of pdfs, movie clips and the like. As of the moment, I know of no easy way to get these files saved onto your ipad.

8. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

If you don't have a main computer yet, you're going to end up in huge frustrations if iPad is your only computer. I believe nothing beats mobile Internet and entertainment in iPad, but for anything more serious you really want to have a proper computer around. But since you already have decent desktop, I'd say go ahead and buy the iPad! My MacBook air wasn't get used as much as it used to be ever since I got the iPad. Mobile Internet anywhere even in the house is hugely convenient.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

I think I prefer the iPad version of Garageband over the Mac version. Sure, you can't add any of the loops or sampled beats that are present in the Mac, but the ease of use of the iOS version is what does it for me. It's not as expandable as the Mac version, but I think it makes things a lot easier.

10. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

I've never really used the MacBook version of GarageBand so I don't know much about it. But i agree with you about the GarageBand app. I love how easy it is to use and how straightforward it is. I'm so impressed with it considering that it is only 5 dollars. I like it more than some more expensive programs I have on pc.

Maybe the MacBook version is better for a more professional user. But I just record for fun. You can really do a lot with the app. There are quite a bit of loops you can add, and the smart instruments are great. I'm more than satisfied with it.

I'm starting to see no reason to get a MacBook, I think the iPad will do me just fine. And I already have a main desktop computer, so I'll be able to sync the iPad and then it should be just fine acting as my main computer.

11. migdaddy macrumors 6502

Im in the same boat as you bro. I have a Macbook pro, but its a Gen 1 from 2006. 15". Its heavy, bulky, gets super hot and the battery lasts about 45 min so its always plugged in and its a PITA to carry around. ALL i do is surf the web and listen to music. Also right now with my cable situation, I watch NBA and NHL live streams along with UFC. Thats the only thing stopping me from buying an Ipad. Flash. I know you can download flash browsers, but I dont want to deal with laggy video. Theres nothing wrong with my Macbook and its remarkable that its still flawless after 6 years. BUT, I cant update it to the latest OS which sucks bc I want facetime and iCloud and all that. I probably will just go for the 32GB iPad soon.

12. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

Flash seem to be the biggest complaint ive heard about the iPad. But I don't see it being a problem for me unless it makes it where I can't watch videos on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't because I can watch them from my phone. And I'm pretty sure my iPhone doesn't have flash.

13. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

You know you can save PDF's through Safari right? (Browse to PDF file on the web, open in...) Also GoodReader (and many others) can act as a file sever that you can browse to and upload files to.

You won't be able to get videos into the videos app, but GoodReader will be able to play any file the normal Videos app does.

14. migdaddy macrumors 6502

The iPhone doesnt have flash either. Ive used Photon web browser to watch live streams of games and its super laggy which makes me nervous because thats one the main reasons I will be buying the iPad>>>to watch sports and UFC streams.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You mentioned music, if you have any need to rip CDs or edit IDE tags you will need a computer. However, you could buy a used, three year old MacBook to have with your iPad.

16. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

I already have a desktop pc with all my music, so i can just put some on the iPad when I plug it in to sync it. I have all my music on my phone, so it's not completely necessary that I even put any music on my iPad, but I'm sure I'll put some.

I think I'm beginning to finalize my decision with the iPad. I'm not really seeing any good reasons for me to spend twice as much on the MacBook, especially when I can't afford it.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I have an iPad3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Screen Cover/Keyboard, and its replaced my laptop 100%.

Mind you, I tried this once before with the Asus Transformer, and it failed miserably.

The iPad though is perfectly capable of acting as a laptop alternative depending on how extensive your needs are. I have iWorks and some other apps for light productivity.

Really though, between a solid desktop, iPad, and iPhone, I just don't see the need for a laptop currently.

But it isn't about my opinion, it's about your needs...

18. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    If money is tight and you want the most bang for you buck, I wouldn't personally go for an iPad. Sure, its great to use for what it is indented for. But I don't think I could go without my macbook pro. Perhaps look for a refurbed Macbook and upgrade it later, or perhaps go for a refurbed ipad 2 and buy a desktop? There are many options if cash is tight. Another option, wait until Christmas, the price of the iPad will come down for the holidays.

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The only issue I've come across which I didn't think would be a problem at the time is the inability to upload files to the internet.

Ive found myself needing to upload my cv to websites and can't manage it on my iPad.

Aside from that, I can do everything I need to do on it.

20. Donka macrumors 68020

For the needs you have listed, the ipad is more than enough. I have both and use the iPad the vast majority of the time. I mostly use my MBP as a hub for my iPad & iPhone and for movie conversion and photo editing. All consumption happens on the iPad which it excels at.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am referring to pdfs which come stored in other formats, such as zipped versions.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1

Take for instance, this dnd website offering free modules. On a normal computer, I would just download them to my hard-drive, unzip the file and then open it. On ipad, no such luck.

Or if my colleague sends me multiple files zipped together, I won't be able to access the contents either. :(

22. lilatheflirt macrumors member

I do the things you do on my iPad. Except for the garageband app. I still have a laptop to do some word processing and excel but if I'm not doing that, I would rather use my iPad.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Get GoodReader, it can unzip files.

Has this ever happened? The only time I can recall iPad prices going down is when the next model is announced, then the older model is discounted.

24. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I would go base model macbook air as iPad is more novelty.

25. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

This question gets asked over and over again. I think we'd all like the answer to be "Yes, an iPad will do everything you need it to do to replace your laptop" and the answer, at least for most of us, at the present time, is "No, there are compromises and extra steps involved in trying to use it for many tasks that are easier to accomplish/better achieved on a laptop." I love my iPad (and have owned each generation) but I consider it more of a luxury consumption device. When I need to get some major work done, I still depend on my MBP. Some of that will change when Office is released for iPad but it still lacks the all-in-one usefulness of a laptop despite its superior toteability(sp?). I wouldn't suggest trying to get by with an iPad in college if you don't have easy, convenient access to a computer.