Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

primitiques

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
what can I do with a MacBook Pro that an iPad cannot do? I need it for peronal stuff and for my business...thanks, bill

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
iPads are for more consuming content (reading emails, surfing web, watching videos, etc.) While Macbook Pro's (or any macbook for that matter- air,pro or normal book) are for creating data such as spreadsheets, documents, etc.
If a macbook pro is too expensive you could consider a refurbished macbook.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You really haven't been specific about what it is that you need the computer/ipad for business-wise.

If you are just looking for a calendar / scheduler, with the ability to email and do some other basic tasks, the iPad may be able to work for you.

If the light weight and small size of the iPad is what appealed to you, but you need to do a lot of document creation, invoicing, etc. You could also look at the MacBook Air vs. the MacBook Pro. If you don't need the high storage capacity or graphics power of the MacBook Pro, the Air may suit your business needs, while still maintaining a light weight and thin form factor.

primitiques

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
thanks..one more question..or two

I need something to respond to emails...do "constant contact" mass emails with, and possible do a document a few times a year in word....if I get one of those keyboard folders to store my IPad in, would an IPad do the job? thanks, bill

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If that's all you plan to use it for and have a keyboard to go with it, then yes an iPad will do.

But the first time you need to do something heavier or complex, you're going to wish you had a regular computer to use.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
what can I do with a MacBook Pro that an iPad cannot do? I need it for peronal stuff and for my business...thanks, bill
The list is so long it's impractical to even start. If you are familiar with computers you already know a lot of the reasons.

Perhaps it's time to get out an old fashioned sheet of paper, draw a vertical line down the center, and list the pros and cons of each.

You might be surprised at how effective that can be.

Cheers... :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
My advice to people asking me this question is 'If you buy an iPad expecting it to be a computer replacement, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.'

Yes, it can do some basic computer tasks, but many simple computer tasks become serious chores on the iPad. For example, composing an email while referencing a PDF document and a spreadsheet or webpage. The iPad does not handle rapid multi-tasking between programs well at all - and that is the heart of most 'computer' use. The iPad is awesome for what it is, but it's not a full-function computer.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

Some people say the iPad is for consuming and the Macbook is for creating content. I used to be one of them. But, I think that is wrong. Nowadays I easily do 90% of my work with the iPad. I still need my Macbook once or twice a week for odds and ends, so I don't think I can recommend it as a complete replacement--you'll need some kind of computer, but even a netbook will do for the mundane tasks the iPad cannot do. If you want to see how I use it (the apps and so forth), I've started several threads on the topic (see my profile). A lot of that comes from advice I received from people on these forums, so you can probably find some answers by searching around here as well.

The problem is that the iPad has weaknesses (and some strengths) that you may not be aware of until you actually sit down and use it for what you want to do. I rarely try and put more than one attachment on an email. Other people put several, and they'll find that the iPad cannot do this (as far as I know).

The safe bet is obviously the Macbook, but if you are willing to give it a try, do some research, talk to people, etc. then you might want to order an iPad and give it a try. You can return it if you don't like it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I rarely try and put more than one attachment on an email. Other people put several, and they'll find that the iPad cannot do this (as far as I know).

There is a way to do this, even though it's awkward and time-consuming. It goes something like, start one email with attachment, save as draft. Start another email with the next attachment. Once you are composing the second email, you should be able to copy the attachment. Go back to the first email that you saved as draft, and paste the attachment. Repeat as necessary.

Not something I'd want to do regularly, but will do in a pinch.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
There is a way to do this, even though it's awkward and time-consuming. It goes something like, start one email with attachment, save as draft. Start another email with the next attachment. Once you are composing the second email, you should be able to copy the attachment. Go back to the first email that you saved as draft, and paste the attachment. Repeat as necessary.

Not something I'd want to do regularly, but will do in a pinch.

Thanks for the advice. That is very good to know. And, it illustrates the point made by others above; namely, the iPad can be a real pain sometimes and requires convuluted workarounds + patience.

I've got enough redundancy built into my workflow (several apps with overlapping functions as well as backups of major files in dropbox and sugarsync) that I can do pretty much everything I need to do on a daily basis, and if something comes up, I can always call up home/go home and fire up the Macbook.

Using the iPad as your main computing device requires planning, practice, and forethought. If that doesn't appeal to the OP, then the Macbook is the way to go.

For me, there are lots of benefits to using the iPad. However, more than many other tech devices, your mileage varies considerably.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My advice to people asking me this question is 'If you buy an iPad expecting it to be a computer replacement, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.'
Again, depends on the person. My wife only uses the iPad as it meets her needs. Generalizations are only of so much use. Each person needs to evaluate based on his/her specific needs/wants/budget/priorities, etc.

The list is so long it's impractical to even start. If you are familiar with computers you already know a lot of the reasons.

Perhaps it's time to get out an old fashioned sheet of paper, draw a vertical line down the center, and list the pros and cons of each.

You might be surprised at how effective that can be.
^ This. Just like shopping for anything else out there.

The safe bet is obviously the Macbook
Good rule of thumb. Convenience is on the side of the iPad but if you want to play it safe the MBP is definitely fully capable.

If you're really unclear on the matter then try out demos of both performing tasks you'd normally perform. Questions like this never have a one-size-fits-all answer. Your personal preferences also play into this and that's something that we can't determine for you.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
ipad or macbook

I need something to respond to emails...do "constant contact" mass emails with, and possible do a document a few times a year in word....if I get one of those keyboard folders to store my IPad in, would an IPad do the job? thanks, bill

I think an Air would be ideal. It's small and light enough, but on the days where you really need horsepower, you have it.

However, if you're really gunning for the Ipad, just make sure you get the bluetooth keyboard. I'm using it right now to type this response on a Gen 1 ipad. Your Constant Contact email work will go so much faster that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.