Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
So almost a year ago in March I purchased a 24" iMac and I love it to death, but I am starting to feel confined and I am really looking to go portable. It doesn't need to be powerful because my iMac can handle anything I throw at it so my options are between the base Macbook or the 16gb iPad. A large part of my time is spent in iChat and it just kills me that the iPad doesn't have a front facing camera. Is there any possibility that they will keep it as a surprise for the launch? I spend the rest of my time on sites like Macrumors and YouTube and hulu. (are they still making a hulu app?) I already have an iPhone so apps aren't too important and I'm not a big reader (other than news) so the iBook store has no effect on me. So what would you do in my situation?

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
In your situation, and in almost any, I'd stay away from the iPad. If you spend time on hulu, and they don't have an app for that, you can't just hope that they come up with one. If you can spend the extra money, get the macbook, it'll be exponentially more powerful and capable. There's no way they are hiding the isight on the iPad until launch, so if you want to video chat, that's another point for the macbook.

I'd get the macbook.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
apps aren't too important

Then the MB is the way to go for you. Grab a really, really basic one (you can grab them for as low $750 in the refurb store when they're in stock) and you'll be covered for your needs.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
if your only webbrowsing and word processing, iPad but then again if you want a bit more usability then definately a really basic macbook
signature_BasicSmile.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.