All iPads ipad or mini for elementary education

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Does anyone have experience working with ipads for elementary schools? I am wondering if the ipad mini is a good option for this, or do you feel like a full-sized ipad will be better?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My personal opinion is that bigger size screen would make it easier for younger students to hit touch targets accurately. This becomes less of a concern the older the students get. Also, the bigger the screen, the more immersive the experience. The mini might be better as a gaming device, but if you want your students to actually learn anything, I feel the full size iPads provide a better experience.

3. thegreati macrumors regular

I'd recommend an iPad 1 or 2 for the younger folks. The iPad Mini is simply just too breakable for children to use in the long run.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 8 year olds use an iPad mini and they're fine with it. I have little concern on how they use it or the size, i.e., its not too small.

Heck most kids now a days are at home using a smart phone, so I don't think a mini or full sized iPad is an issue.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Who's using it? The child or the teacher? What's the context? What would they be using it for?

For a child, I personally feel a full-sized iPad is better, at least for typing, since you get close to a full-sized keyboard, and children of that age generally won't have the fine-tuned motor skills to operate a smaller virtual keyboard.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

it depends on who's using it and what it going to be used for. Thats like asking which car should i get to drive?