Ipad or new Macbook (special situation)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SingleDuvet, Apr 21, 2010.

1. SingleDuvet macrumors newbie

First post,

I already have a 2007 white macbook. I already have a desktop. I already have an iphone.

My dad will give me $1800 to buy something from the apple store (maybe any store)

Usage:
    Light things: Textbooks (ebooks), Browsing, writing essays, email...

Heavy things: Video encoding, Final cut express -- can be done on my current macbook --

What should I do:

1. Get an ipad (and keep the $1300 left over)

2. Get a new i5 macbook

For some reason, having two macbooks seems cool :eek: (I'm a geek) And the new one seems very fast.

I'm thinking the ipad will be great for when I start college this year. I could use it to read my textbooks on (my textbooks are available in ebook format). Truly portable browsing/email would be fantastic. And tbh, the ipad just seems so cool.

BUT, i don't know if the ipad purchase is just for the novelty factor.

The macbooks pro's speed is pulling me in and I may not be able to take my powerful desktop with me to college. On the other hand, I don't do anything really resource intensive. I'm just a sucker for speed.

Please advise me!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use your MBP to read the books too, am I right? IMO iPad is mainly a toy, so so I'll vote for i5 MBP

3. SingleDuvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely. But I can also use my current 2007 macbook for reading books.
    I'm thinking that the ipad will be much more portable. I dislike carrying a macbook around in my bag. I'm scared it will break and feels bulky and heavy...

I'm a victim of Apple's ipad marketing. I just want it :mad:

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Sell your 2007 White Macbook, use the combined money to buy a new laptop and an iPad.

Depending on how much you get for the White Macbook will determine if you can get an iPad after the i5 Macbook Pro.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

6. SingleDuvet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I was thinking that.

I wonder if I can get $500 for a white 2007 macbook though :confused:
    Also, it is suffering from the expanded battery problem. So maybe nobody would buy it. (mouse is continually pressed down, but if you don't turn the coin lock thing all the way it works without this problem). ie. if you don't stuff the battery in and lock it.

7. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

:rolleyes:

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Easily. Even 700$ depending on specs and condition

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

At this early point in the iPad's history, I think you would be buying it pretty much for the novelty factor, but who cares? I was in line day one because I was completely mesmerized by the iPad, and for what it will evolve into because of all those developers out there making incredible apps. Who am I kidding? I just wanted the damn thing. But I am thrilled with it.

However, if you really can't bring the desktop with you to college, and you just gotta have new Mac hardware, and you've convinced the old man to pay for it, I'd vote for the MBP right now. If you really don't want the MB, then you're going to need the MBP for school, period. You've got a lot of term papers in your future, and you're gonna need a workhorse.

There's always Christmas.