iPad iPad or rMBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JOSE891, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I have a 13" MacBook Pro Retina w/ 256GB ssd, I was thinking of selling and getting an iPad Air/ Mini Retina + Cellular.

Would it be worth it? Or should I just stick with my computer?

I mostly use YouTube, Stream Music, Internet, FaceBook, and sites with Flash. I really never use the "Computer side" of it.

I kind want the iPad for it portability and being able to use it most places I go with the cellular feature.

2. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

How much can you well it for? Maybe you need a Mac mini and a new ipad! But the retina is super nice. If you can keep it and save up for an ipad that would be perfect. Wait for the mini it is cheaper too.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

No way am I giving up a real computer for an iPad ! Sure, tablets have come a long way in a very short period, but still doesn't replace a laptop, IMHO !

4. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

5. JOSE891 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

LOL. Kind of on a tight budget :/

6. neilmacd macrumors 6502

There's your problem..

I returned a Haswell 13" rMBP after 1 day. I loved it, but found myself reaching for my iPad (3) far too often. Figured it just didn't match up to an iPad as a consumption device. Although, I have an iMac and Mac mini nearby to fall back on when I have proper work to do.

The Air (for me) makes that choice even easier :)

7. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Much as I love my iPads, I can't imagine giving up my MacBook Air and desktops for them.

YMMV, of course, but for me it would mean losing a lot of functionality. Do you know anyone with an iPad Air? I wondered if you had a friend who'd let you use it for a few hours then you could try doing the kind of things you'd be using it for and get a bit of an insight. You could also try in an Apple Store too?

Another option might be selling the 13" and getting a MacBook Air, perhaps the 11"? That could be a good compromise between power/portability.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

8. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

JOSE: it depends on what you will use it for.

I have MacPros, Minis, laptops, iDevices. 90% of my usage is for browsing/writing/email/image viewing/audio-video/shopping/internet radio. Ultimately, I find only two devices working for me--iPad (Air) and MacPro (or any desktop Mac, but I use the most-powerful one I have).

The laptops I own are defunct due to the iPad. You can use the laptops for bigger function, but if you don't do bigger function on the go, why have a laptop?

I feel the same.

9. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

If that's all you need it for, I think the iPad is fine. I use both personally because I need a laptop for design but an ipad because I'm not dragging my laptop around with me. Only you know what's best for you.

10. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The iPad won't run flash. Other than that it will work fine.

11. Angler, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Angler macrumors regular

I bought a new rMBP two weeks ago. After 3 days sent it back as I kept going back to my ipad. I consume more content then I push out. I have not had a computer for 19 months now since my original air died. All is good.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

rMBP any day. Completely different products in different leagues altogether.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You either need a computer or you don't. If you have simple needs, then an iPad alone could work. If all you did was check email, browse the web, create simple docs, etc. Some people that's all they do.

Now, if you try to interact with any other device, needing for example a USB connection to upgrade firmware, or run Quicken, or do any of 1 million things those of use who've been using computers for more than 6 months do, then no. You need a real computer. The iPad would be gravy on top of that. :rolleyes:

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Actually for your use case I would say an iPad is all you need. Flash smash....its only useful for serving you ads at this point.

15. scupking macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010mbp a windows desktop and then ipad. I could not replace my laptop with an iPad.

16. Altis macrumors 68010

How do you use your computer? Not just what you do, but HOW you do it. For example, if you use a lot of tabbed browsing, multi tasking, etc... laptop will win hands down.

Could probably sell it and get a Macbook Air. Would suit your needs and be thinner and lighter. Could still use flash, and do more than 1 thing at once.

Personally, I'd keep the MBP unless you find it too heavy and you don't bring it where you need to go as a result.

17. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Both if you can eventually afford.

Get the iPad if you already have a functional computer. Otherwise rMBP first.

Everyone should have a functional computer... doesn't need to be fancy.

18. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I can't imagine going iPad only. If I had to make a choice between the two, it would have to my laptop. Of course, my needs appear to be greater than yours in that regard. The iPad makes for a great companion device or works well for sofa-based media consumption and email. It is not a productivity beast. Those tablets that try to do both do neither particularly well. Just look to the Surface line of tablets from Microsoft. I've owned a few and they are a mess.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Stick with Macbook Pro because Safari on iPad does not like Flash. Sorry. :apple:

20. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I primarily use a tablet but there's no way I'd give up a full computer.

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If i could run the full command line suite like the macs have in my iPad...id just own an iPad but i build apps web apps and soon ios apps. I need a mac for that.

22. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Keep the rMBP and maybe pick up a refurb Air in a couple of months.

23. Z3man macrumors 6502a

IMO you need at least three apple products.

Macbook pro (2011 model or better)

iPhone (4S or better)

iPad mini (new retina one if you can wait)

If i had to get rid of any, it would be the mini, i couldn't do without a laptop or phone.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

Don't use Safari, then. Try another app like Photon or Puffin for your browser.

25. waldpet macrumors newbie

I personally could never live without a laptop (late-2013 rMBP) and have also bought an iPad Air. I have never owned an iPad before as I was never really drawn to the form factor, the new Air though is a fantastic consumption product. However I just think for the foreseeable future the flexibility a laptop provides is too great to replace it with an iPad alone although this all depends on what you use it for I guess.

Admittedly I did question the cost of the iPad but since using it for a couple of days I wouldn't be without it. rMBP is being used less but even for writing things like this it always wins :D