iPad: Organising files the right way

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Baklava, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Hello all,

I love my iPad but I currently have a little problem with file management on it. I am taking notes with an app called Notability, reading my eBooks and PDFs on Adobe Reader, store some files on Dropbox to access them on Mac & iPhone and do a little bit of file management on iFiles. But what I would like to do is manage ALL my files in just one place. In the moment all my files are scattered all over the device and I have no primary place to store them. iFiles seemed to be a good starting point but when I for example open a file in Notability to make some changes, it gets copied so I end up with two versions. When I decide to share it and open it in Dropbox I have another version of the file...

My question: How do you manage your files on the iPad? Is there a solution for having just one place to store files and being able to access them with other apps? Thanks for any hints.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

There is not really a right way ... You are doing fine. Dropbox or similar services are quite useful; I locally use GoodReader as file manager.
    That's the down side of sand boxing as Apple force us on the iOS devices.

In my company this was (and is) the biggest headache: avoid multiplying versions of files. Plus my company don't allow Dropbox or even iCloud due to security/privacy concerns. So we ended up with internal WebDav connected via VPN to a regular Windows Fileserver.

So for private use: iCloud and Dropbox should be fine
    For company use: get everything in the backend; avoid files as much as possible.