Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
orientationipad.jpg

Anyone notice n the keynote today when Steve was demoing multitasking in 4.2 on the iPad, the orientation lock button from the iPhone in the multitasking bar was there?

Well the iPad already has a hardware switch for locking the orientation. If they add a software button then the switch will keep reversing itself (the orange "locked" state will become the unlocked state if you press the software button and vice versa).

So either they're going to remove it before the final release, or keep it and add unnecessary complication/confusion.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I noticed it also and it created some sort of curiosity towards what will happen with that switch, it could be given a better function.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
I much prefer the hardware switch and hope it doesn't change. Don't have the same need for a silent button on the iPad compared to iPhone as my iPad doesn't tend to ring very often

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
If they repurpose the switch I will not upgrade. I absolutely love the orientation lock.

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
If they repurpose the switch I will not upgrade. I absolutely love the orientation lock.

Why? They would still have orientation lock, just perhaps the physical button will be gone. It's possible to replace it to match the ios4. I would like the devices to be consistent. It threw me off as to why my iPad has a physical lock but not my phone. Either way is fine by me, I just want them the same in those regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.