iPad "orientation lock" functionality change in 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rorschach, Sep 1, 2010.

1. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

[​IMG]

Anyone notice n the keynote today when Steve was demoing multitasking in 4.2 on the iPad, the orientation lock button from the iPhone in the multitasking bar was there?

Well the iPad already has a hardware switch for locking the orientation. If they add a software button then the switch will keep reversing itself (the orange "locked" state will become the unlocked state if you press the software button and vice versa).

So either they're going to remove it before the final release, or keep it and add unnecessary complication/confusion.

2. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I noticed it also and it created some sort of curiosity towards what will happen with that switch, it could be given a better function.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm guessing they'll repurpose the hardware orientation switch to silent/mute like on the iPhone.

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I much prefer the hardware switch and hope it doesn't change. Don't have the same need for a silent button on the iPad compared to iPhone as my iPad doesn't tend to ring very often

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

We can only hope, I'd MUCH prefer it as a mute switch like the iphones.

6. RobBookPro macrumors regular

If they repurpose the switch I will not upgrade. I absolutely love the orientation lock.

7. shadygrove macrumors regular

Why? They would still have orientation lock, just perhaps the physical button will be gone. It's possible to replace it to match the ios4. I would like the devices to be consistent. It threw me off as to why my iPad has a physical lock but not my phone. Either way is fine by me, I just want them the same in those regards.