Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I’ve only run into this a couple of times, but when I do, it’s frustrating. Here’s the scenario: I’d sometimes like to open an Excel spreadsheet in Safari using the office.com site instead of the locally-installed Excel app. Why? Because I’d like to modify/update a pivot table and the Excel app does not support this. If I go to the office.com site using Safari, find the spreadsheet and try to open it (using either mobile or desktop mode), the spreadsheet is automatically opened in the local app - not in Safari. If I uninstall the Excel app and repeat, the OneDrive app then tries to open a poorly-rendered version of the same spreadsheet. If I uninstall the OneDrive app and repeat, then I get the desired functionality in Safari, and can work on pivot tables in the desired spreadsheet. But, what a pain! Then I have to re-install Excel and OneDrive. Other than deleting and re-installing both apps every time I want to work with a pivot table on my iPad, is there a way to force Safari to not select the app?

Oh yeah, the same behavior is observed when using Chrome, so that isn’t a better option.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
It is funny I just came across this. As both a MacBook and Pixelbook user I noticed yesterday that I couldn't open Excel in browser when I downloaded the app on my Pixelbook. Which drove me crazy so I deleted the app.

I do not have that problem on MacBook. I have a completely different problem with formatting. They are drastically different from the app vs Safari. Microsoft is a mess in generally.

Reactions: Just sayin...

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I did find a work-around which, while an incredible PITA, works like a charm. Switch to Google Sheets. If the app is installed locally, you can still open the spreadsheet in Safari and work with pivot tables as desired. When you open the app in Safari, it gives you a choice to proceed or open the local app (expected behavior) - and then things just work like you’d expect. The only downside is the potential privacy trade-off in dealing with Google (YOUR INFORMATION is the product) vs. Microsoft (you pay for a subscription).

BTW - similar behavior is observed with the YNAB (You Need A Budget) app too. I’ve resigned myself to accessing it via Safari on my iPad (with no app loaded), and loading the app on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
OK - for those who are interested, I think I’ve figured it out! On iPadOS Safari, instead of just tapping on either the YNAB login link or the Excel spreadsheet icon on the Microsoft site, tap and hold until a pop up appears, then select “open in background”. Then it works like a charm - just as expected...no auto-app-open, no nothing. Yay!!!

Reactions: WordsmithMR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.