Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrpalma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Hello,

I'm about to go pickup my new iPad 3G. Previously, I jailbroke my brother's using Spririt. I understand Spirit does not work with OS 3.2.1, only 3.2. Is there a risk that a brand new iPad purchased today will come preloaded with 3.2.1, and thus be impossible to jailbreak with Spirit?

Thanks for reading!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Hello,

I'm about to go pickup my new iPad 3G. Previously, I jailbroke my brother's using Spririt. I understand Spirit does not work with OS 3.2.1, only 3.2. Is there a risk that a brand new iPad purchased today will come preloaded with 3.2.1, and thus be impossible to jailbreak with Spirit?

Thanks for reading!

I think it's very likely your iPad would come with 3.2.1 - if so then http://www.jailbreakme.com

Even if it czme with 3.2 K would recommend jailbreakme.com before Spirit. Easier and less prone to give you issues

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you buy a new iPad now, it's likely it'll come with 3.2.2, for which no jailbreak is available.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I thought you could use jailbreakme.com for any device with iOS up to 4.0.1 :confused:

Nope. 3.2.2 was released specifically to block jailbreakme.com. Although the version number is lower, 3.2.2 was released after 4.0.1, at the same time as 4.0.2.

rrpalma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Nope. 3.2.2 was released specifically to block jailbreakme.com. Although the version number is lower, 3.2.2 was released after 4.0.1, at the same time as 4.0.2.

Thanks! 2 more questions, if you don't mind:
1. I guess I'm better off the not buying the 3G today?
2. Is there a way of telling from the serial number (before I buy) which version of the OS an iPad has?

Thanks again for reading.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks! 2 more questions, if you don't mind:
1. I guess I'm better off the not buying the 3G today?
2. Is there a way of telling from the serial number (before I buy) which version of the OS an iPad has?

Thanks again for reading.

To answer the second question first, yes, there's a way to tell the manufacturing date from the serial number, and if you get an iPad that was manufactured before 3.2.2 was released, it'd have an earlier OS version on it. However, I don't remember offhand when 3.2.2 was released or exactly how the serial number thing worked, and I really don't feel like searching for that info right now. So good luck finding it yourself.

As for the first question, well, if you buy an iPad now, you could still do a lot of stuff with it, even if you can't jailbreak it. A new jailbreak will likely be released for later versions of iOS eventually, most likely after iOS 4 for iPad is released. You can wait until the new jailbreak is released to buy your iPad, but personally, I don't see any advantage in doing that, you'll just be depriving yourself of time you could be enjoying an unjailbroken iPad. But that's just me, it's up to you what you want to do.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Another route you could take is to purchase an iPad off craigslist locally. That way you could ask the seller: what OS version is currently on it, and if it's ever been jailbroken or not.

rrpalma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
To answer the second question first, yes, there's a way to tell the manufacturing date from the serial number, and if you get an iPad that was manufactured before 3.2.2 was released, it'd have an earlier OS version on it. However, I don't remember offhand when 3.2.2 was released or exactly how the serial number thing worked, and I really don't feel like searching for that info right now. So good luck finding it yourself.

As for the first question, well, if you buy an iPad now, you could still do a lot of stuff with it, even if you can't jailbreak it. A new jailbreak will likely be released for later versions of iOS eventually, most likely after iOS 4 for iPad is released. You can wait until the new jailbreak is released to buy your iPad, but personally, I don't see any advantage in doing that, you'll just be depriving yourself of time you could be enjoying an unjailbroken iPad. But that's just me, it's up to you what you want to do.

Well, I did the serial number check, and 2 iPads I looked at were made during week 33. That starts Aug 16, and iOS 3.2.2 was released Aug 11. So I guess I'll have to wait for a jailbreak.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I believe I am in the same position as you, I just purchased mine a few days ago and unfortunately I updated to 3.2.2 .. from what I've been reading over and over is that I am out of luck, since I never backed anything up using SHSH.

One thing I don't understand is, why couldn't I use someone else's previous backup of firmware? iTunes will not allow me to restore to 3.2 it just says 'Verification failed' I even changed the host to a few different cydia ip addresses I found on various websites.

I hope there is a JB foe 3.2.2 very soon!

Well, I did the serial number check, and 2 iPads I looked at were made during week 33. That starts Aug 16, and iOS 3.2.2 was released Aug 11. So I guess I'll have to wait for a jailbreak.

Where did you find the serial number check? and what does the result mean..

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
One thing I don't understand is, why couldn't I use someone else's previous backup of firmware? .

Because the SHSH is unique to each device, and it's not part of any firmware or backup. When you try to restore the iPad, iTunes queries Apple for SHSH. if you are trying to restore to an earlier firmware, Apple would refuse the query, resulting in an error. If you have your SHSH saved, you can trick iTunes into sending the query to another server, and that server sends the saved SHSH when queried.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Because the SHSH is unique to each device, and it's not part of any firmware or backup. When you try to restore the iPad, iTunes queries Apple for SHSH. if you are trying to restore to an earlier firmware, Apple would refuse the query, resulting in an error. If you have your SHSH saved, you can trick iTunes into sending the query to another server, and that server sends the saved SHSH when queried.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Now I just have to wait patiently for a JB for 3.2.2 Ugh, I hope it doesn't take long!

rrpalma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I believe I am in the same position as you, I just purchased mine a few days ago and unfortunately I updated to 3.2.2 .. from what I've been reading over and over is that I am out of luck, since I never backed anything up using SHSH.

One thing I don't understand is, why couldn't I use someone else's previous backup of firmware? iTunes will not allow me to restore to 3.2 it just says 'Verification failed' I even changed the host to a few different cydia ip addresses I found on various websites.

I hope there is a JB foe 3.2.2 very soon!

Where did you find the serial number check? and what does the result mean..

Well, you can try this link:
http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Based on the info you get, you can tell whether your iPad was made before Apple released iOS 3.2.2 (August 11).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.