iPad out in the wild... Where are they?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jkazmeyer, May 7, 2010.

1. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I'm a New Yorker living in Nashville, & I still have yet to see any one rocking their iPad out and about... I'd love to hear what everyone else has noticed,especially in some of the larger cities, I'm just curious if people are just leaving them home like I am....unless I have a good reason, it's staying home.... That's why I have an iPhone, it's a pocket sized iPad.....

2. lespaul85 macrumors member

I've been traveling all week with my 3G and seen nobody else either, not like it's something I really show off myself. I've had it out in the airport and airplane but generally keep it hidden since I people thinking im just showing it off. When I walk around with it it's in a net book case and looks like a magazine or book so it doesn't scream iPad.
    Keep in mind too that even one million of these things only means that maybe one in a few hundred people have one and those people aren't walking around peeking at it every 2 seconds like they would an iPhone.

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have wondered that, too. So far I have yet to see another person with an iPad. Mine goes with me everywhere. Admittedly this last week I was sticking close to home for various reasons and wasn't out and about in the area (Northern VA) as much as usual, but when I have been, no other iPads to be seen....

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

ive seen no one here in staten island so far but i will be receiving mine 11th-15th, so thats one:D

5. aohus macrumors 68000

i do bring it out on occasion, but im very discrete with it and try VERY hard to make iPad not visible in public. when i bring it into work i wrap it around with a newspaper i bring in everyday to the office.

i do get glances, and people want to check it out, but its not a nuisance or anything.

6. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Mine hasn't seen the light of day, but if I did take it out I would have it only in busy public places. I wouldn't want my finger torn off. ;)

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Mine stays home typically. Took it to work a day or two in lieu of the laptop but got enough jealous stares (like why do you have $800 to spend on a toy) that it was not so comfortable.

We are testing it to use for our field techs so it is going about with a few of them.

One thing for sure is that it is not good in sunlight due to the glossy screen. A try or two on the back deck said this is pointless. You won't see this at the pool or in the park cause you can't see the stupid screen. Makes a nice mirror though to keep your hair looking fabulous.

8. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

If you intend on using it on an airplane forget it! :) everyone wants to see it...so I finally gave it to the Flight Attendant and she came back in about 30 minutes.. On my second flight last week I was sitting in 2C. Everyone getting on stopped to ask and I was requested to put it away...later I just passed it around it was fun to share:)

9. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

I have seen 3 or 4 in Downtown Columbus, Ohio, Mostly in Coffee shops.

10. Streethawk macrumors 6502

I spotted this one in the UK two weeks ago, and they're not even due for launch here until the end of May... and he happened to be a Macrumors.com member too.

Attached Files:

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Considering that the iPad was first released in the Wi-Fi only model, I wouldn't suspect anyone would be carrying it around at the train stations on my commute. The trains themselves don't have Wi-Fi hotspots (never likely to get it, even with my 25% NJ Transit fare increase AND service cuts), and the hotspots at the various train stops are always disappearing for days at a time.

The iPad 3G came out just a week ago, but I see more people out and about with the iPhone 3G/3GS (man, I see a ton of those EVERYWHERE and in all types of cases). I don't suspect they will cough up another $30 a month for another device.

However, I did see just one other person this morning on my train station. Couldn't tell if he had the 3G model, as he had his in the Apple-branded case.

I don't have an iPhone at the moment (sold it off in anticipation for the iPad 3G and the iPhone HD), so my iPad 3G is my only data-enabled mobile device for the time being.

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I live in NYC, and I've seen at least one iPad in the wild every day since it came out. Some days I've seen a few. Mostly on the subway or in a Starbucks.

This is of course nowhere near the number of iPhones I see every day. It sometimes seems like more than half the people in NYC have iPhones...

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Lets say 2 million people have purchased iPad. The odds of you seeing one are small. I remember it took awhile for me to see another iPhone user when it was originally released. Now its constant.

14. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

Have not seen one out in 'public' yet, but there are 5 other people in my office who got one and I always see them walking around or playing around with theirs... of course only in the office.

I haven't taken mine out anywhere public yet... I don't want to be flocked by strangers and have to answer a ton of questions.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I live in the L.A. area and I've only seen one other person besides myself with an iPad, and it was a kid playing games on one in a Starbucks. I'm going by plane soon to S.F. and it will be interesting to see how many I see.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

Saw a guy with one a couple of weeks ago on the Leeds to Manchester train here in the UK.

17. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

I would imagine that people in Nashville have more important things to worry about right now than being seen flashing their new iPads in public.

18. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Living in central Illinois I'm really not surprised I've not seen any, anywhere. Our local Best Buy has a slew of them just sitting there. Most people here just moved from VHS tapes to DVD's. :D

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

While at OT yesterday (occupational therapy - and a kids center), a mom had one yesterday!! It was the first one id seen, same for her. We compared apps and said how it was a special needs mom's sanity! Lol!

But other than that, the wifi got a variety of looks at the UF Orthopedic Clinic last week, and some people wanting to touch it. The kid don't even let her sisters touch it, good luck anyone else!

We haven't been places with a lot of people around that might have them yet though.....

20. gtsipad macrumors member

Saw my first one this past Sunday at a Jasons Deli restaurant here in south florida.

21. atuarre macrumors member

It really is just common sense. Walking around with one, especially if you are in a larger city, is just asking for it to be stolen.

Don't want to lose a portion of your finger do you?

22. random person macrumors 6502a

I take mine eveythwere and have no issues being seen with it. I'm certainly not worried about theft I mean it's Boston and everyone hauls computers around with them!

Took mine on an airplane two weeks after the wifi model was introduced and saw two of them in the wild, at different airports. But mine caused quite a sensation on the airplane!

Judging by the scene at the apple store in Boston this thing is selling like crazy to all kinds of different people, from the elderly to cool young adults.

It's definitely a hit!

23. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

i was at the local starbucks earlier today...looked up and saw one floating by in thin air, everyone was shocked. guess they are magical.

24. Jakeoster macrumors regular

I've seen one the day after it was released. The guy had it in apple's case and was walking from the train station reading USA Today. That's been it so far.

25. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I have not seen one out in public. I took mine to Starbucks last weekend but only one person recomgized what I had.