iPad outfitting for a contractor

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Blackhatch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Blackhatch macrumors newbie

To to the people far more well versed and educated on this stuff than I, I thank you in advance and humbly request your advice on the following applications and options for my iPad.

I am a contractor by trade and will be transitioning to a completely paperless format and all contracts, estimates and other documents will be housed in the iPad or cloud for easy access and universal agreement and accessibility.

I am looking for an app that allows me to wireless link my iPhone to my iPad for the following scenario:
    - My installers access customer roofs and we would like to real time show the customers what we are seeing (video stream) and ideally with audio. I guess we could have a quick 2-way radio in our hand but doing it over the iPad/iPhone combo would be one less device we would have to handle and be encumbered with (a definite plus while on a steep roof).

I have seen this thing here (http://gizmodo.com/5511115/how-to-turn-an-iphone-into-a-wireless-ipad-camera) but it makes no mention of audio and I would therefore assume it is a "no".

There is also the app store version but it appears to be still images: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-for-ipad/id366129244?mt=8

Does anyone know of a very good app that allows for this for real time video and audio?

My next question would be what is the best recommended case for contractors and do they include screen protection. I have the Otterbox on my iPhone and have been pleased with its level of protection after more than a handful of drops.

Thanks again and I look forward to your feedback.

2. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I would recommend the Griffin Survivor for your case choice. The Otterbox isnt as sealed for being on job sites and you may get dirt inside the case

The Survivor has ALL ports protected.

3. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback.

I will check it out.

Any ideas about the camera linking....? :D

4. TonySwartz macrumors member

5. Blackhatch thread starter macrumors newbie

6. anthrovisual macrumors regular

I thought about getting the Survivor for the reason that they put flaps on everything, but I also hear the flaps can come open and aren't the best design.

Are there any other cases that cover everything up so that nothing gets in?

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k