iPad & Outlook Sync Issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vijayram, May 12, 2011.

1. vijayram macrumors newbie

Hi

I am the brand new owner of an iPad2. Due to my commute, I want to read and respond to e-mails on my iPad so I won't have as many e-mails waiting for me at work. I essentially want to know if I read an e-mail on my iPad, will it show up as 'read' in Outlook (2007) & vice versa? My IT guy claims this isn't possible due to Outlook's file format which sounds like a poor explanation. Can someone tell me if it's accurate or if there is a real solution?

Our corporate e-mail is tied back to Google's business e-mail although we're going to bring everything in-house in the next few weeks. We'll be going to MSFT Exchange.

I'd appreciate any comments since this would make me much more productive.

2. Janet1 macrumors member

Did you buy an iPad with 3G? 3G would be the first prerequisite.

Do you have a gmail account? If so, then as long as you have an iPad with 3G, I'm pretty sure you should be able to add your business email account to your gmail account in the settings, and then all your busines email will automatically show up in your gmail account, which you can then access on your ipad, and answer from there.

You will want to go into the settings of your ipad and set up your gmail account as well.

There are some businesses that have placed restrictions on their email accounts which would prevent this, so that's something you would have to check.

I hope you commute via public transportation or car pool, and aren't reading and answering emails while driving.

3. vijayram thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is 3G.

Thanks for the thoughts on e-mail, but I'd still have the same problem. If I respond to my e-mails via our google webmail or any other way, that same e-mail would still show up in my Outlook Inbox as a new e-mail. I want to see if there is a system where I respond to e-mails on the iPad and my Outlook marks it as 'read' Isn't there some sort of autosync across platforms such as MobileMe but for people who want to keep their own e-mail address?

Also, we're switching from Google Business E-mail to Exchange in a few weeks. Any other thoughts?

And don't worry Janet, I'm not driving.

Vijay

4. CactusHawk macrumors regular

I'm not familiar with gmail you are using but once you you go to Exchange it should work. I have access to my work email on my iPad and it works just like you describe how you want it to. We use Exchange where I work. If I open an email on my iPad it it gets "opened" in Outlook on my work computer.