iPad outputting a 4:3 video image through component cables?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ignus graius, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ignus graius macrumors regular

Yesterday I bought the component AV cable with the hopes of playing iPad video on an HDTV. I know for NTSC the most I can hope for is 480p, but I can't get the iPad to send a widescreen image to the television. Depending on whether the "Widescreen" option is on or off, it either crops the edges or letterboxes the video, and the result is a stretched image on the television screen. The cables work fine with my jailbroken iPhone 4.

Has anyone with a jailbroken (or even non-jailbroken) iPad been successfully able to play widescreen content on an HDTV?

2. sergio27 macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. Is there a solution?

3. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

FWIW, I tried playing a video the other night using 4.2.1 (jailbroken) and everything seemed fine. Just remember to go into settings and set the output to "widescreen" (that never worked for me on 3.2).

4. f4780y, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

5. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... I wasn't necessarily referring to mirroring the iPad display, but the format of the video output when a video is played on the iPad (e.g., a movie that I downloaded).

Ever since the fifth generation of the iPod, you could select what format the output was presented as, either 4:3 or 16:9 (the fifth generation iPod had a 4:3 screen, too). I had originally posted this thread because I was house-sitting and wanted to watch downloaded TV shows on the owners' television and found that the output was never formatted correctly for the 16:9 screen, even though the correct option was selected in the iPad's settings.

I posted this thread in the Hacks section because I was jailbroken and didn't know if my errors were due to my iPad being jailbroken. I'm at 4.2.1 (also jailbroken) and video plays on a TV as expected.

Attached Files: