iPad outside with polarized glasses - no go

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bunger, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

One downfall of the gorgeous iPad screen is the insane glare when viewing outside. So I just tried using it wearing my sunglasses ( which are polarized ) and can't seethescreenat all!? Oh well.... Cant have everything, I guess

2. purd002 macrumors member

rotate it 90 degrees and you will be able to see it :D

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Holy crap! I totally thought you were sending me on a snipe hunt, but it really works that way!?! Any thoughts why?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Polarising lens' work by filtering light so that only light that is moving in a (say) vertical plane will get through. All horizontally oriented light will get blocked.

Think about it this way: you have a string going through a gap in the fence. if you wave one end of the string left and right, the waves won't get through the fence. Now wave the string up and down.

Not familiar with out TN (or even IPS in the iPad) screens emit light, but they must only produce light in a single plane. Interesting.

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

and here I was thinking that half would be visible in one direction and half visible in the other direction lol.

so which one worked? portrait or landscape?

6. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Same with iPhone. Makes gps apps I. Horizontal position a no go with my sunglasses.

7. KingPasta macrumors member

KingPasta

+1, I drive with my head tilted to the left slightly - never thought of twisting my iphone to landscape though. D'oh!

8. kloda macrumors member

I found out the hard way that polarizing sunglasses are not good for drivers, especially if you have a navigation system or try to read the LCD display at gas stations.

Not surprised to read they offer up problems for the iPad but that is a unique solution I'll keep in mind when my magically revolutionary iPad finally arrives.

After getting the "hang in there, it will still ship late April" email, I can't help but remember the "magically revolutionary" statement.

9. toxic macrumors 68000

so what you're saying is you wish Apple completely invented a new display technology and put in a tablet for < $1000 total, instead of using the best available LCD technology?

LCDs are basically two polarized layers on top of each other. the top layer twists to transfer or block light. polarized glasses add another layer, so if you get the orientation wrong, you don't see anything.

while coming up with a completely new display technology would be revolutionary, it certainly woudn't be affordable.