Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berdar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I travel almost 5 months out of the year and want to get an iPad 3. I'm a bit confused though. I use Verizon when I'm home and know that I can get an iPad from them.

I've found what I want cheaper on amazon though. If I buy from amazon, does it have to be the Verizon branded iPad so that I can use with Verizon while I'm home? Will it already be unlocked or will I need to go through Verizon to have it unlocked to use overseas?

Thanks

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I travel almost 5 months out of the year and want to get an iPad 3. I'm a bit confused though. I use Verizon when I'm home and know that I can get an iPad from them.

I've found what I want cheaper on amazon though. If I buy from amazon, does it have to be the Verizon branded iPad so that I can use with Verizon while I'm home? Will it already be unlocked or will I need to go through Verizon to have it unlocked to use overseas?

Thanks

The iPad will not be Verizon branded, but you may want to get the iPad 3 4G that is compatible with Verizon to be able to use it on Verizon's network while you are home and it will also come with an unlocked SIM slot for you to use any SIM card from GSM carriers around the world. Note however that whether you buy the Verizon version or the AT&T version of the 4G iPad, you will be limited to 3G speeds outside the US and perhaps Canada.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
The iPad will not be Verizon branded, but you may want to get the iPad 3 4G that is compatible with Verizon to be able to use it on Verizon's network while you are home and it will also come with an unlocked SIM slot for you to use any SIM card from GSM carriers around the world. Note however that whether you buy the Verizon version or the AT&T version of the 4G iPad, you will be limited to 3G speeds outside the US and perhaps Canada.

I am not sure of the truth of this, but I ask the question at Verizon and the tech told me that anything they sell that is 4G will not work on GSM because they have not yet incorporated CDMA, GSM and 4g into the same machine. I was asking because I travel and none of their 4g phones are global. Not sure how true any of this is.

Have a good day,
HiddenPuppy

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I am not sure of the truth of this, but I ask the question at Verizon and the tech told me that anything they sell that is 4G will not work on GSM because they have not yet incorporated CDMA, GSM and 4g into the same machine. I was asking because I travel and none of their 4g phones are global. Not sure how true any of this is.

Have a good day,
HiddenPuppy

That is true of must locked phones but the iPad is supposed to be capable of world travel. So a verizon iPad with an unlocked sim slot can take a sim card from, what I believe, any carrier around the world so that you can use there network.

Windex20

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
I'm currently living in Germany and purchased an iPad 3 on a military instillation. It came with the Verizon Sim but I use the Germany network Vodafone and it worked without and unlocking or special tricks. Just popped it in and it works. You won't get 4G but u have the capability of using any Sim from any network.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I'm currently living in Germany and purchased an iPad 3 on a military instillation. It came with the Verizon Sim but I use the Germany network Vodafone and it worked without and unlocking or special tricks. Just popped it in and it works. You won't get 4G but u have the capability of using any Sim from any network.

Thanks, great to know this after what I heard from the Verizon Tech.

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks, great to know this after what I heard from the Verizon Tech.

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

More often than not, the so called "Techs" at the US cellular service providers don't know $#!+ and do an excellent job at providing misinformation!

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
More often than not, the so called "Techs" at the US cellular service providers don't know $#!+ and do an excellent job at providing misinformation!

I hear that!!! :D I have just wondered why none of the 4g phones coming out with verizon are global and that is the explanation I was given. I have to have a global phone and at this point with verizon that means a blackberry or iPhone 4s. So when I ask they gave me that explanation of the CDMA, global and 4g not working yet in the same device.

Thanks,
HiddenPuppy

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I'm in the Caribbean with the ipad 3 (ATT) version and all I did was pop it my local providers sim and voila.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I'm in the Caribbean with the ipad 3 (ATT) version and all I did was pop it my local providers sim and voila.

I am wondering if the verizon version is different since it is based on CDMA and not GSM by default.

HiddenPuppy

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
You can get 3G on ATT with a ATT sim and a Verizon iPad3. LTE will not work. Don't think it works going the other way. Anyway just get a Verizon iPad3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.