Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
I'm looking to see if the iPad can run Roestta Stone and Poker Stars through the VNC. I'm thinking rosetta stone the app, not the web version. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, as those 2 apps (especially the 1st) are what I'm looking for.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
All VNC is doing is showing your screen. It doesn't care how many things are running, unless those things are pulling away the necessary resources from the VNC server.

As long the machine has enough resources and the bandwidth is available, there shouldn't be any problems.

Also, Rosetta Stone contains some audio, VNC does not transmit audio.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the reply, I've used VNC before, just curious how the iPad would handle those apps specifically. I'll keep looking for info on them.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Thanks for the reply, I've used VNC before, just curious how the iPad would handle those apps specifically. I'll keep looking for info on them.

As calderone said, the iPad has no idea what you are doing on the other end of the VNC connection. Whether the remote computer is doing 1 thing or 100 things, the iPad just displays the remote screen that it gets from the VNC server. The only time what you do remotely will have an effect is if the remote VNC server is slowed down by CPU or bandwidth issues, but again this has nothing to do with the iPad.

The only thing you have to concern yourself with is whether VNC can properly handle the things you want (e.g. there is no audio, video usually doesn't transmit that well).

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Ahh I get both of you now. For some reason I was thinking that the iPad would need to do the work, not the computer it was reaching out to. THanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.