@Ipad owners: did you ever own an Iphone/Touch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kaelell, Jun 4, 2010.

?

If you own or intend to buy an iPad do you.........?

1. Already own an iphone/iTouch

83.7%
  2. Have previously owned an iPhone/iTouch but not anymore

6.5%
  3. Have never owned an iPhone/iTouch

9.8%
  1. kaelell macrumors 6502

I was having a conversation with a friend and we were just curious how many people bought an Ipad who never owned an Iphone/Touch.
    Just a debate we were having about the sort of people who would be likely to buy an Ipad & not actualy need it and those who would be avoiding it, not knowing it would change their lives because they had never been exposed to that sort of device and so forth.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Are you implying that the iPhone/iPod touch would take the place of the iPad, and thus one would't "need" the iPad? Because there is a monumental difference in the way one interacts with an iPad compared to how one interacts with an iPhone or iPod touch. So just because someone who owns an iPhone goes out and purchases an iPad doesn't mean they don't need it — the iPhone could never serve as a replacement for the iPad. The iPad is definitely more like a computer, compared to the iPhone which is more of well... a phone.

That being said, one of the huge selling points that Apple is making about the iPad is that "you already know how to use it." It's advertising to people who have iPhone and iPod touches — because it runs the same operating system. Sure, there are going to be people who go out and buy an iPad without any experience on how it works. But there are going to be considerably more people who are going to buy the iPad who already do know how it works. Why? Because that's what people are comfortable with. Because iPhone/iPod touch users are already comfortable with using those devices, purchasing an iPad is going to be more likely. And that's what Apple's betting on too — which is why the iPad runs like an iPhone, and not like a Mac.

Think of it like this: the reason why people still buy PCs. They know that Macs are better, but they're not willing to make the switch because they're just used to Windows. They're not willing to make the jump until they become comfortable with it, or until someone shows them. So the same would go for iPhone/iPod touch users — they're used to the iPhone OS. They're already comfortable with it. So they'll stick with the iPad because they're accustomed to the iPhone OS.

(The difference is that the iPad rocks while Windows sucks, lol).

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Well said

4. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

not at all, pretty much what you said was the debate we were having and the conversation we had, just wanted to see if stats backed it up. It wasnt a statement on my part, it was a question to self. what I was interested is, is if anyone has bought an Ipad having not used an iphone/touch before, that would be interesting because I agree with your statement completly & I think there will be very few , if any new adopters to the platform.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Had a first gen ipod touch and sold it for almostfull price to buy a second gen. That one eventually broke and I got a third gen. Sold that a bit before I got the ipad to get a nano.

Bought an iPhone in November and dumped it in March. A smartphone was starting to be kinda overkill for me so I switched carriers through a contract buyout and got a basic phone.

As mentioned the iPad fills a completely different set of uses but knowing how well the first stuff worked it influened my iPad purchase for sure.

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I have an iPod touch as well as an iPad. I've always loved the touch to pieces - it's got by far the most use out of any iPod I've owned, and music is clearly only one of the many things it can do.

One thing I always wished was that it had a bigger screen - so iPad is that wish come true. Movies are now coming off the touch, and I may reduce the music on the iPad - though I ended up getting a 64 and at present, my library fits on it nicely.

The thing that might just kill off the touch is if I went ahead and got an iPhone - but I've always been a PAYG kind of phone user.

7. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Yes, I've owned an iPod touch. I have no idea what an "iTouch" is, sounds dirty. :rolleyes:

8. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

Well said. It bugs me when people call it an ******.

9. shadowness macrumors regular

I have never owned an iPhone or iPod touch till now! I had never thought of buying an idevice till now. Have always been a WM user. Even after the iPad was announced I didn't even sort of leaned towards buying one! But I was closely following the iPad after launch. Well to be frank I was waiting for a windows based tablet, since I was already in the tablet PC segment.

All that changed when I went with a friend to check out the iPad in person here in Dubai. To quote Steve jobs it was "magical". The first thing that impressed me was the aspect ratio. When all portables and tablets was moving towards widescreen 16:9, the iPad's aspect totally drew me in! It makes practical sense. Even when I was using the toshiba tablet pc the one thing I didn't like was the aspect ratio!

I went back the next day and got myself an 64gb wifi model. It's so damn addictive now I don't even use my HD2 half the time! Wether it's browsing or reading ebooks or PDF books from David duchemin or brainstorming it just the iPad!!

Whatever adjective jobs used it more or less happens when using the iPad!

Now I am even thinking of getting an iPhone 4g or HD whatever it's gonna be called!

I am a total believer now!

yes. The iPad has it's flaws, but when coming to usage and what I want to get from the iPad I am totally satisfied!