iPad iPad owners, should I get the iPhone XS or bigger XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkthruwalls, Mar 23, 2019.

1. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

I'm gonna upgrade my phone next week and was wondering if I should just buy the smaller XS since I have my iPad with me all the time. I never owned the bigger Plus phones and is coming from the iPhone 8. But YouTube reviewers seem to only rave about the Max and was wondering if I should just get that. But also might regret the bulk in my pockets especially with tight jeans. The smaller XS is basically the same anyway and I have my bigger iPad.

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Blue Hawk macrumors 6502

Well I have an iPad and an iPhone XS Max. If the size of the iPhone 8 was always enough for you, the XS would be enough for you too. If you want it bigger the XS Max is perfect.

It doesn't matter what devices you already have in my opinion. I wouldn't buy the Mini. But I have the MacBook Pro to use it only at home, the iPad for everywhere and not only at home and the iPhone XS Max when it's size is perfect for the situation.

3. kristalsoldier macrumors 6502

kristalsoldier

4. user_xyz macrumors regular

user_xyz

I'd get the XS-it needs to fit in my Pocket!!

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I went with the 7+ then a little over a year later I dropped back to the X size. The 7+ was too big for my pockets.

6. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

I traded my 8+ for a XS Max but, felt it was too big. Returned for XS. It’s the perfect size for me.

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

My perfect match is:

Plus/Max
    iPad 9.7" or iPad Air 10.5" or iPad Pro 10.5"/11"
    MacBook 12"

Note:
    What I currently own is in bold.
    I would use the Plus/XS Max with Zoomed Display mode which effectively turns it into a non-Plus/XS but on a bigger screen.
    I don't always bring both my MacBook and iPad with me.

The Plus/XS Max is big for my pockets, but I much prefer the screen size. The XS non-Max does not support Zoomed Display mode, and that is a deal-killer for me. The XR also supports Zoomed Display mode BTW.

8. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

You could not pay me to have a plus/max phone. Love my XS but it's all iPad once I get home.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

It depends on you. For me personally the size of my phone has never effected my iPad ownership. I see them as separate devices.

I currently have the Xs max, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro 10.5 and MacBook Air 11 inch. I use them all.

10. spooklog macrumors regular

spooklog

Honestly, the best and only way to be sure is to try them out. Buying and returning phones can be a hassle, but it's better than being stuck with buyer's remorse. Best Buy, for example, offers a reasonable two-week return period.

11. Retops macrumors regular

I use my phone as a business computer and for that reason I went with the larger iPhone. I have been extremely happy with it. I also have a 12 inch iPad, so I guess I just prefer the larger devices.

12. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

I’d get the iPhone XS. It’s the perfect size.

13. sparksd macrumors 68020

I got the XS Max - I wanted the larger size and am real happy with it.

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Well if you always have the iPad on you then I would say get the smaller XS.

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I have the XS Max. I've had big phones since the 6 Plus, and I won't go back to a smaller phone. I would have gotten a Galaxy Note if Apple hadn't come out with a big phone in 2014. My wife has the iPhone 7, and I really dislike that size every time I pick it up. The big phones fit well in my pockets and my hand.

I also have the 12.9 iPad Pro.

If you like smaller phones, I get it, but they're not for me.

16. walkthruwalls thread starter macrumors member

walkthruwalls

Thanks everyone for the replies and input. I love the suggestion of getting the bigger one first and returning it if it doesnt work for me. But living in Southeast Asia, sadly that is not an option. Yeah size and convinience is all subjective so I'll just have to go with my gut and get the smaller footprint. I use my iPad (with the convinience of the AW) more than my phone so I think I should be fine. Its already inconvinient as it is to pull my phone out of my pants when I'm sitting down and dont see the Max helping in that department :D.

17. Jack Neill macrumors 6502

Jack Neill

Coming from an 8 the XS feels like a iPad mini.