iPad owners who use keyboards - why and where?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mykidisgollum, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mykidisgollum macrumors newbie

There are a plethora of iPad keyboard cases out there. According to reviews I read, Some are quite good and many are pretty thin too - which is great. I would like to know WHY people are using their iPad with an internal keyboard. In what settings are you most often using it?

Let me know your thoughts all? I'm looking for info on what folks are doing with their external keyboards.

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I just posted this in another thread, but I suppose there is no harm in repeating myself.:p

I am in the midst of experimenting to see how my ipad can be used in my classroom. One thing I hated about my laptop is that to type anything (while it is hooked up to the smartboard), I have to be stuck at my desk, when I would love nothing more than to be able to circulate around my class and monitor/interact with my pupils. Or I can be at the other end of the class, and need to walk all the way back just to edit a document.

A bluetooth keyboard / air-sketch app would allow me to work around that limitation. My ipad stays propped at my table (connected to projector via that vga adaptor), while I can type from anywhere I want in the class (or get my pupils to contribute). Together with that keynote clicker app, I hope to be less deskbound.

In fact, I plan to bring my apple wireless keyboard to class tomorrow to try just that, while waiting for my zaggfolio to arrive. :)

I also participate in a variety of forums and find that with a physical keyboard, my responses tend to be longer, more detailed and better thought out, plus I can hammer out the words that much faster. :D

3. mrjones19 macrumors newbie

Apple's new iPad has had its fair share of problems, and it appears another one might need to be added to the list.

An increasing number of new iPad owners have been complaining on Apple's forums about trouble connecting to 3G networks from their tablet. Based on the growing thread, the issue appears to be widespread across Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia. Only a few people in the U.S. have said that the device is having trouble connecting to 3G.

"When I travel with my iPad, e.g. taking it on a train, it loses its mobile data connection despite showing a strong signal," one forum poster wrote today in Apple's forums. "Toggling settings does not fix it (turning mobile data and/or Wi-Fi on or off, or even temporarily enabling airplane mode). The only way I have found to re-establish mobile data is to turn the iPad off the on again (powering it off fully by holding down the power button then swiping)."

4. noshjewman macrumors member

Well, Mrjones, while I suffer from the problem you are talking about, this doesn't seem to be the right thread to discuss it...

I use a wireless keyboard whenever I want to be a more productive writer using the iPad. The place this happens most is on the train. I can set the iPad up on the tiny table that folds down from the chair in front, and keep the keyboard on my lap. It is far easier to work this way than with a laptop, which doesn't really fit into the space.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

I take the BT apple keyboard with me on the road so that when I need to write a long memo in notes or in pages, I can do it instead of the ipad KB...It's still a pain to have to stop and touch the screen to do some stuff but it's better than bringing my MBA....