Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Can anyone recommend a good (free) password app? I need something able to accept and store my existing passwords as well as generating and storing new ones.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I use 1password on all devices and Macs works great. Dropbox sync and back up is a great option.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Thanks, seems a little overkill for what I need, which is basic forum usernames and passwords.

I already have them all listed in a numbers spreadsheet, but thought it might be better stored in a proper app. Can you add your existing usernames/passwords to a password keeping app?

If I was to get 1password, how does it work with all your existing usernames/passwords?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Importing will depend on if you want to use their desktop app or not. If you don't, then it will take a little time to copy/paste the information over.

If you get the desktop app and the iPad app you can import directly from Firefox or other sources and then sync between the desktop and iPad.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I use SecureSafe which seems about perfect.

It's free and Universal - and syncs to a server so my iPhone and iPad are kept up to date.

The only catch is that you'll have to start paying a regular fee (not sure how much) if you go over 50 passwords.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I've been using Splash ID for years, on Palm, Windows Mobile, Windows PC, iPhone,iPad and MacBook. Works great. Not the fanciest app out there but it does the job and it does it well.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Thanks, seems a little overkill for what I need, which is basic forum usernames and passwords.

I already have them all listed in a numbers spreadsheet, but thought it might be better stored in a proper app. Can you add your existing usernames/passwords to a password keeping app?

If I was to get 1password, how does it work with all your existing usernames/passwords?

But why not expand its use to generate and store strong passwords for all your banking, loan, credit card or other data sensitive sites? Store pin numbers, software keys and account numbers too. All encrypted and all available across your devices.

I bet most people do not have true strong passwords that never are reused across sites that ate stored in an encrypted yet portable manner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.