Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
I have just had to restore my iPad from its back up and it has 'lost' most of the passwords for mail and other stuff. How do I retrieve them - I've tried the ones that I think are right in terms of the string and capitalisation.

Help please?

Uncle H

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
Thanks Blueroom, my conundrum lies in the way in which iCloud treats the synching between devices. I have the same password for each email account on a MBP, iP5 and my iPad2, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any other thoughts?

Uncle

----------

I've just been through keychain access and re-input the proper (correct) passwords but my iPad steadfastly refuses to accept three out of five. I am at a loss.

Uncle

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I have restored many iPhones and iPads from cloud backups and the one thing that NEVER restores is passwords. Don't know why but it doesn't happen. After the restore, I have to re-enter every username and password that was stored in the old device - including the lock code for the device itself. If you don't remember the passwords, you have no choice but to reset them because the cloud will not sync your passwords across devices. The correct ones may be stored on your MBP and iPhone but they are gone on your iPad.

BTW - have you tried removing and reinstalling the affected apps?

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
To update this;

I have checked all my passwords by searching Keychain Access, by logging on to the cloud and almost every other variant. I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a help call from Apple (came up with a 'src fault' whatever that is) all to no avail.

So a secondary question, should I delete the accounts in question from my iPad and then resynch from iTunes - would that work?

These are two important accounts that I can get on my MacBookPro and iPhone and via the cloud yet Mail for ipad refuses to recognise the right password when it is entered.

Uncle H

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
To update this;

I have checked all my passwords by searching Keychain Access, by logging on to the cloud and almost every other variant. I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a help call from Apple (came up with a 'src fault' whatever that is) all to no avail.

So a secondary question, should I delete the accounts in question from my iPad and then resynch from iTunes - would that work?

These are two important accounts that I can get on my MacBookPro and iPhone and via the cloud yet Mail for ipad refuses to recognise the right password when it is entered.

Uncle H

Sounds more prudent than resetting the password from the other devices. At least the account still works on the other devices.

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
Sounds more prudent than resetting the password from the other devices. At least the account still works on the other devices.
All sorted now - deleted and reset the two accounts, just have to ensure that all my other passwords for non-mail accounts haven't been 'lost'.

Thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.