iPad iPad PDF

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nickwell24, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Hey Everybody,

I have a work function coming up soon. They've provided my 15+ PDF reference guides to help with the function, I'm looking for a way to combine all them, make a table of contents to quickly jump to the necessary guide and carry it on my iPad Air.

My initial thoughts is making the PDFs into an ibook, which I'd need to learn to do if it's even possible without buying special software. Does anybody else have a solution or idea to make this possible?

Nick

2. Altis macrumors 68020

Are you trying to accomplish this task on your iPad, or on a computer?

3. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

I will accomplish it on my Macbook Pro then transfer it to my iPad.

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

iBooks Author, free on the app store? (Don't know if it'll do it or not, but it's worth looking at.)

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Is the PDF already assembled with a table of contents that allows you to click/tap and be taken to the section? If not, the easiest way to add that functionality may be to use Microsoft Word (Pages might be capable of this as well). Either open the PDF with it or, if it's purely text, copy and paste the document(s) into your text editor and then run with it. Save as or "print" as a PDF when you're finished. See this Apple discussion for some instructions on creating the clickable table of contents.

As far as viewing free-form PDFs, I don't really like using iBooks. I find it easier to sort and view PDFs that are loaded in Documents, a free app by Readdle. Documents isn't limited to PDFs, it's something of a file system interface for the iPad (but documents must be loaded into the app).

Hope it helps.

6. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks I'll give this a try when I get off work.

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Preview on OS X can very easily combine them. I don't think it could create the table of contents. PDF Pen is a wonderful tool, though not free.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Why not just drop the guides into the iBooks app as-is, and make a collection for them? That way iBooks handles the "table of contents" as you can browse the titles of each guide and tap the one you want, going right to it. No need to do any combining or PDF mangling.

I do this all the time when I have to review bids from vendors. Sometimes they come as native PDFs, some vendors still send paper (ugh). The latter I just drop into our bulk scanner, and then throw all the PDFs into their own iBooks collection for easy sorting.