iPad performance is decreasing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oceanhut, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Oceanhut macrumors newbie

Im not exactly sure what the problem is, but after about 7 months of ownership, my iPad seems to be getting worse. It loses wifi signal alot, even when i have full WiFI bars safari is kind of slow, and its general performance is somewhat sluggish.

I dont have many apps nor do i have many pictures or video. I have the 32g version with 25g left.

Anyone else encountering similar decrease in performance?

2. CIA macrumors 6502a

About once a year I do a full restore on my iPhone, seems to make it faster again. Whether it's actually faster, or all in my head, who knows, but it seems faster to me after I do it. That's all that matters I guess.
    Probably would work on an iPad also.

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Do a fresh restore and see if that helps. Otherwise hit the genius bar

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

That's just a feature it makes you want to run out and buy the blazing
    Fast iPad 3.

5. Oceanhut thread starter macrumors newbie

what does the restore do? Will it delete everything on the ipad?

6. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Do you ever kill the apps?

I have a friend who didn't know about it, and when I double clicked on the home button he had lots of apps there...he didn't know about the "new" multi-tasking.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Save your back up then restore from backup

8. SFENDER macrumors newbie

What do the apps at the bottom after the double click mean? Are they "running"?

9. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I believe so. The immediate 'x' are running on the ram (I believe, please correct me if not).

10. stevod macrumors member

I don't think they're really running as it's not true multitasking, but you can close them down.

When you double tap on the home button to view 'running' apps, hold down on an icon and a red '-' button appears against the apps. Touch this on the apps you want to 'close'.

Report back on if you find any improvement. (I've never tested this myself.)

S

11. Donka macrumors 68020

How often do you fully power cycle your iPad?

12. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

That's my first thought too; after a reboot you can be sure that there is nothing but the base OS running. I would definitely try this before going as far as a Restore. In case anyone doesn't know, to reboot an iPad just hold down the power button and then use the slider to power off.

13. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling app makers start making their apps for the current generation vs old generation and a lot of times the older generations have a hard time keeping up.

My iPad has been much more crash prone in recent months as well. I'm considering a complete wipe and keeping minimal content on it. :|

14. Stefx73 macrumors regular

This does not kill background apps. They are still there after reboot, try it.
    I was surprised myself.

Even home+wake buttons held until Apple logo does not kill background apps.

15. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Mine isn't JB'd like yours and has not been crash prone at all. JB might have something to do with it.

16. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Powering off will clear everything from memory, that's what happens when RAM doesn't get any power. The misunderstanding is that the "double-click-home button" bar does not show which Apps are in the background; it shows which Apps have been recently used. In that respect it makes sense that it isn't cleared on a reboot as a reboot doesn't change which Apps you've been using recently.

There is no way in the standard iOS interface to show which Apps are currently in memory. However if you are curious there are Apps (XsysInfo for one) that will tell you which underlying processes are actually running. Currently I've got 15 pages of Apps in my recently used list but, as I recently rebooted, only system stuff, Mail, Safari and XsysInfo are actually running.

17. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Thanks, I stand corrected
    I thought home double-click showed apps in background.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

After I install or update an app.