iPad Pet-Peeves

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, May 18, 2010.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I love this device. Maximize it the most on my day-to-day commute, and really don't know how I've existed without it. :rolleyes:

But...

There are a few things that irk me to no end. Like:

• When iPad is locked and you pause the music, if you wait to long you will not be able to play it again from the locked screen.
    • When I turn on Wifi, iPad doesn't automatically connect to known networks.
    • Wifi will miraculously lose connection after what seems to be less than a minute of being idle.
    • How there isn't an option to change the background color from black.
    • How the safari web-broswer refreshes every time you go back to a tab (this irks me to no end)

I think that just about covers it. Nothing really major, but things I hope would be addressed in the next OS or hardware upgrade.

One can only hope.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

"How there isn't an option to change the background color from black."

I'm not tracking on this one? What do u mean or what are u referring to?

I've noticed Safari does that occasionally but not always. I just thought it refreshed when there was new content on the page or the page had changed in some way.
    Safari does not always refresh for me tho I'm positive but I am not positive what causes it to refresh sometimes.

3. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Say I have an image that does not fill up the entire space, the empty space will be black. I would like to have the option to atleast change the color. It's small, but it's still a pet-peeve.

There are some images that just don't look right when fit to the screen.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Ok, gotcha on that one. I have not experienced that yet. I only use the correct sized images for backgrounds 1024x1024. Guess I did not think about what happens when you don't use the correct size.

I agree it would be irritating and nice to choose a fill color.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

How it doesn't sit flat on a surface, but rocks instead. (They seem to have addressed this issue with the next iPhone. Hopefully, the next iPad will have a flat back.)

I don't really get the "tabs" objection (first, they really aren't tabs...) as I almost never use that feature. But having to re-render for the "back" button does urk me. At least with the "tabs", it happens only when it runs low on memory. Back button does it every time. I suppose this is within conventional/expected browser behavior, but still I'd at least like to have an option to have it not always re-render.

6. smotheredhope macrumors regular

No reason to even use safari anymore. Atomic and cab both blow it out of the water.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Just find a solid color wallpaper and your problem is fixed.

In regards to your other pet peeves, I have not had any issues with wifi. I have not experienced those things.

I find that your music point is for any paused song after a long period of time will not continue and just jump to the next song. I have never had this issue with my iPhone.

I haven't really paid attention to the marketing of the iPad. I did not realize that they were pushing the gaming aspect. I guess I thought they were pushing the Internet since that was the major point in the original keynote presentation for iPad.

I totally agree with the Safari, but it doesn't always bother me, just sometimes. The again, it doesn't refresh all the time, just sometimes. ;)

8. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

How is this a pet peeve? Because you don't own any games? Because the games are no good? Doesn't really make sense imo.

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I only have two peeves, let's say I am browsing the web and I want to change tracks in the iPod app. When I select a new song the album art goes fullscreen. I know I have to press the home button anyway but still. Secondly, when I am browsing sometimes a little pop up appears that says 'connecting' I assume this is the wifi re-establishing itself. It's rare but annoys me for a second.

10. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

It's probably just a personal preference.

I really don't see the need for them. Now on my iPod Touch, I'm always playing them.

You can axe that one.

11. jtara macrumors 65816

What is "cab"?

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

iCab Mobile is an alternative web browser. I have been using it all day and like it much better than Safari and it works much better than Atomic Browser, IMO.

13. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

It is a bizarre "pet peeve"... that is buying a device purportedly marketed as a gaming device and then complaining because all you use it for is stuff other than gaming :confused: :p

14. MisterL99 macrumors member

Pet peeve

After having set to double click the home button bring up my iPod controls when I double click - it rarely works. Instead it takes me into the iPod app. This frustrates me the most. I don't have this issue with my iPhone. I like to listen to video podcasts as well while surfing but I have to either use my Bluetooth headset to start the podcast back or get out of the podcast first then lock the screen and log back in to get it to work.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My only pet peeve is that with two young children and a load of responsibilities and priorities at home as well as other distractions like sports and movies and activities and functions, well let's just say life in general, I don't get to use it very much.

And as a bit of a sports nut, the ESPN Scorecenter and Scorecenter XL apps suck.

As for the curved rocking back, I think it makes it easier to pick up. With a flat back you couldn't easily just reach your fingers under the edge to grip it.

16. crispy5620 macrumors newbie

Aside from the problems of not being able to multitask -- I just noticed you can't cut and paste into Safari. W T F! Is that something they just overlooked or is there some magical Apple reason why cut/paste into a web browser is bad?

(Yes, I did replace Safari with Atomic Browser. It at least let's you cut and paste into a webpage)

17. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Maybe I am not understanding what you were trying to do on Safari but I can cut and paste from the web. For instance, your last post, held finger on it...tapped copy....opened another note app...hit paste... Works fine. Are you trying to do something different?

Patty

18. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

I occasionally find when scrolling in apps like USA Today and TweetDeck it sometimes won't scroll. I presume it's just updating the content below, and this also of course could be related to the apps themselves and not the iPad.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Please please bring keychain app and syncing to the iPad!

Also allow to scroll with a scrollbar rather than only inertia scrolling.

20. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

I don't like the checkerboard pattern while scrolling webpages.
    Would be nice if photos-app can remember where you're left off in an album.
    Calendar needs an overhaul. It's not apple-like user experience. (swipe, scroll)

21. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

From another thread of mine:

"Instantly I hate how everytime I download an app in the app store it kicks me out of the app store and shows me were the actual app is downloading!? who cares? I may want to browse more apps, so now I have to go back in the app store? Android just puts my download in the top icon bar and i can see progress in their for multiple apps

I also find it weird that in order to change settings for any application you have to do in the the "general settings" area?? why not allow mw to edit each apps settings IN APP? again why do I have to stop what I am doing in order to change a setting? android settings are contained in app..

The capactive screen doesnt seem as responsive, I found myself double tapping on things just to get them to load... but I did find that it was very "Accurate" when clicking on small numbers in forums pages."

22. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

1. Can't say much about that - I don't tend to use that feature.

2. I find my iPad always connects to my home or work network whenever it is available.

3. I can leave mine laying on the bed un-used and unlocked and pick it up a few minutes later still with a connection. I can put it to sleep and wake it and get an almost instant connection. In fact, I have no connection issues at all.

4. Plain wallpaper.

5. Yes, this gets on my tits too. They resolved it on the iPhone and iPod by upping the memory to 256mb, but then left the memory there when they upped the resolution on the iPad, which brings back the memory issues. I doubt there'll be much way around it sadly.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) The lack of caching is particularly annoying.

2) Lack of ability to adjust sound/brightness on screen -- yes, some apps have this, but it's not a universal feature of the OS. It should be.

3) The screen is too sensitive to cut and past highlighting when slowly scrolling through a web page. Is there a way to temporarily deactivate? If not there should be.

24. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Try using two fingers to scroll.

25. w4rmk macrumors regular

The issue of Safari reloading pages when switching tabs drives me nuts as well. Funny thing is there seems to be no consistency, sometimes when you switch tabs it won't reload the page and sometimes it will, even if you have only been away from a tab for seconds many times it will reload the page. This defeats the purpose of opening a link in a new tab to save the time of going forward and back again.

Also Apple please give us the option to open a link in a new tab without immediately switching to the new tab. I want to open links in new tabs for later reading, not immediately.