iPad + Phone working together

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jakebrown, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jakebrown macrumors member

Hey, im looking for advice from you guys please.

I own a jailbreak iPad 3 and im looking at getting a new phone. Its either going to be the iphone 4s or samsung s3.

What kind of things can ipads and iphones do together? Can jailbroken ipad and jailbroken iphones do more? Are these things unique to apple products or can an S3 get involved.

Im leaning towards a iphone 4s because of size and price, but the battery life is such a put off im looking at the s3.

Many thanks guys

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would stay in the same family of devices (iOS or Android) simply to avoid having to source and/or purchase multiple copies of apps for the same functionality. There would be some benefits as well, like shared "cloud" data for apps that don't carry forward from one system to another, but those kind of apps are mostly likely the canned ones included in the OS. Like "Notes" on an iOS device.

Clint

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

-iTunes Match links you entire music library wirelessly across all devices for streaming.
    -iCloud saves things like photos, documents, app data, safari tabs, contacts, passbook passes and others for use across all devices.
    -Photo stream wirelessly and automatically syncs pictures across all devices (take pic on iPhone, view on iPad all without having to actually do any syncing yourself)
    -iMessage/FaceTime sync across devices as well
    -Reminders sync wirelessly
    -And as someone already mentioned, app purchases (and music/video purchases) all sync across devices so no need to buy multiple copies (unless there is a different app for each device which doesn't happen often these days).

If you have a mac computer, all these will sync together with the computer too.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i loooooooove

numbers/pages. Thats my number 1 perk of iphone+ipad+iMac
    it syncs via icloud. I can update some values during a lunch meeting on my iphone. Go to the various stations at work and update/change on my ipad and its waiting for me at home so i can edit/review/pivot tables..

notes is awesome.. jot a quick note down.. syncs via icloud.
    iMessage is great.. (most people i know have iphones and ios 5+)
    Leave my phone in my car/office... no problem i can reply to the wife real quick on my ipad. Same goes for facetime

Safari tabs! great.. i can be reading/.working on something on my imac in my office.. pull it right up on my ipad/iphone.. or imac at home. :)

conacts being synce ++
    photo stream! +++ take it on my iphone... edit it on my ipad/imac
    purchase automatically sync if you choose.

there are much more that posts above covered.. but i really do love having all the same "ecosystem" apple has truly done a great job at making my experience seamless and easy.

in short.. get the iphone

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, more and more apps are starting to take advantage of iCloud sync, which is very useful. I have a todo app that are both on my iPhone and iPad and sync through iCloud, very handy! (I like this todo app better than the built-in reminder app because it nags me every hour until I check off the item.) Someone mentioned Pages/Numbers syncing over iCloud, but there are other text editing apps that do the same. Even with just the native apps, iCloud sync is incredibly useful. Add an event to the calendar on one device, and it automatically shows up on all your devices plus your computer. And with iOS 6, you have iCloud tabs, so if you are looking at a webpage on your iPad and you switch to your iPhone, you can tap iCloud tab to open that page on your iPhone.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It all depends on how freaky your ipad turns out, Usually iPads like to keep it monogamous but if you get lucky you can get one that will let the S3 in on the action :D