Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hello,

I just purchased purchased an iPad for my father in-law for christmas. he is ... very teck-unsavvy - and I have been out of the game for sometime myself. He loves to take photos but since his son accidentally deleted a card full of vacation photos he is extremely nervous about backing up his photos. So instead of backing up his photos he just continues to buy more memory cards for his cameras. I think he's up to about 20 x 16gb cards currently.

So we purchased the 64gb iPad Air 2 for him in hopes of showing him how easy it was to get his photos on there, do some basic editing and print directly to an AirPrint ready printer (when he gets one). Well, as it turns out, he is LOVING his iPad (who wouldn't!) and has asked me for a solution to backup everything to a hard drive without the need for a computer. Whether thats going from Compact Flash --> iPad --> hard drive or even Compact Flash --> hard drive -> view on iPad --> AirPrint.

I was wondering if anyone has a really nice solution for this. Are there such hard drives that are network ready, maybe, that can backup the photos on an iPad or from a compact flash card and then somhow view the photos from the hard drive on the iPad? The easier the solution the better as he is just afraid of technology.

Thank you very much and hope someone knows of a solution I am looking for.

~nD

I hope someone can help.

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Western digital my passport wireless. Has a card reader inbuilt and an iOS app to browse the disk contents

----------

Review link. I have three of them

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/09/30/review-western-digital-passport-wireless-1tb/

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Western digital my passport wireless. Has a card reader inbuilt and an iOS app to browse the disk contents

----------

Review link. I have three of them

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/09/30/review-western-digital-passport-wireless-1tb/

Unfortunately this does not have a Compact Flash slot, just SD. This does look something that is what we are looking for but again, no CF card slot.

I have also just looked at the Lacie Fuel. Does anyone have any experience with these? And I have yet to read if images viewed from this device can be printed from the iPad.

Thanks again,

~nD

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Unfortunately this does not have a Compact Flash slot, just SD. This does look something that is what we are looking for but again, no CF card slot.

I have also just looked at the Lacie Fuel. Does anyone have any experience with these? And I have yet to read if images viewed from this device can be printed from the iPad.

Thanks again,

~nD

Sorry missed that detail. I don't know of any that can use a CF card. Apparently the current draw is greater and that is why the camera connection kit doesn't work well with cf cards. I haven't seen a portable solution offering what you want, if you find one please let us know. There are adaptors for sd to cf slots so that may help dependent upon your camera type. That is use an sd card in a cf slot.....

Cheers

Shane

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Sorry missed that detail. I don't know of any that can use a CF card. Apparently the current draw is greater and that is why the camera connection kit doesn't work well with cf cards. I haven't seen a portable solution offering what you want, if you find one please let us know. There are adaptors for sd to cf slots so that may help dependent upon your camera type. That is use an sd card in a cf slot.....

Cheers

Shane

Yeah, I've thought about this option as well. I would love if he would trust technology and use ht EyeFi. That would solve his problem very easily. I am surprised I managed to get him to keep the iPad - so I'm looking for some sort of option to do this.

I will definitely keep people posted for a solution we come up with.

~nD

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
This isn't a hardware solution and you've probably already considered this, but I have a Dropbox account and it's set up to automatically upload photos from my iPad directly into a folder called Camera Uploads.
Yes, it's "in the Cloud", and that might be too tech for him, but it's pretty easy to use.
The iPad just does it, I don't have to actively do anything, and I can look at, edit, delete, print, etc directly from the Dropbox account.
Perhaps pricier than what you have in mind (I think I spend $10/month for a huge amount of storage because I use the account for lots of other things), but it sure is simple and seamless, and worth it to me.

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
The OP mentioned transferring from cf cards not the iPad. The Dropbox solution is great for iOS devices. My whole family's devices are linked to a Dropbox account for that use. Unfortunately the OP's problem is linking an existing camera using cf cards to an iPad in some way.

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
The OP mentioned transferring from cf cards not the iPad. The Dropbox solution is great for iOS devices. My whole family's devices are linked to a Dropbox account for that use. Unfortunately the OP's problem is linking an existing camera using cf cards to an iPad in some way.

Yes, I would love to be able to copy from CF card but as in my research, along with many others', going from CF --> iPad is pretty much impossible with out having a powered CF card reader. This could be an option, but I am still unable to find a battery CF card reader for the latest iPad Air (or one having the lightning connector.).

I will continue to my search, and I am still waiting to hear if anyone has any luck with the Lacie Fuel :D

Thank you all.

~nD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.