iPad pictures to iPhoto

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slapshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. slapshot macrumors member

I am not sure which thread this question should be posted on so I guessed here.

I have pictures on an iPad that I want to sync to a new MacBook Pro. There has to be an easy way to do this. Can someone help please???

2. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

Do you have iPhoto installed on your MacBook Pro? When you plug your iPad into the MacBook iPhoto should start up and give you an option to import the photos into iPhoto.

3. slapshot, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

slapshot thread starter macrumors member

It only wants to import 7 random pictures that were sent via email; not the 3,000+ other pictures that are on there.

4. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

I'll sync mine now and see if I can suggest something to help you out. Give me a couple of minutes.

5. slapshot thread starter macrumors member

While I am at it, is there a way to take the music on the iPad and import it into the iTunes on the new computer? It asks if I want to sync using the computer's iTunes but there is no music saved on it yet. I want to import the iPad songs onto the MacBook.

6. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

Was the iPad sync'd to an older Mac? If it was you can transfer all the photos and music from your older Mac to your new one. You'll need a program like "Senuti" to pull the music off the iPad.

7. slapshot thread starter macrumors member

It was never synced to a Mac. This is my Mother's first Mac. It was synced to a Vista computer.

8. BASRPH macrumors member

BASRPH

I ran into a problem with this a few months ago. We returned from a vacation and I had all my pics on the IPad and when I tried to sync with the IMac I lost all my photos from that vacation on future syncs. When I called Apple support I was told that I couldn't store pics on the IMac that were originally downloaded to a IPad. Luckily I still has all my pictures on the CF card in the camera.

9. b.c. macrumors 6502

use "Image Capture" application on your Mac (it's included free with Mac OS X)

connect your iPad via the docking cable, start up Image Capture, select the pictures from your iPad's photo roll and then upload to your Mac. you don't have to worry if the iPad has been synced or not to this Mac via iPhoto/iTunes.

10. cassie 807 macrumors newbie

This helps me with my question without even posting it. If it is true that you cannot sync pictures downloaded to an IPad over to an IMac, it will save me a lot of time. I have been saving emailed pictures to both my IMac and my IPad and was afraid of ending up with duplicates of all the pictures. Great news. Thanks

11. BASRPH macrumors member

BASRPH

On a similar note when I bought a new Canon camera I also bought a digital card reader and a Apple cable that would enable me to hook up the card reader to the IPad. I was only able to download a very small number of pics to the IPad, maybe 10 or 20. If I had anymore pics than that on the Compact Flash card I got an error message about not having enough power for the card reader. How do you get around that ?

12. cassie 807 macrumors newbie

I wish I could help, but it is my intention to keep all photos on my IMac except those I want to keep portable. I came from a PC using elements. I had everything sorted the way I wanted when the PC died. I used an external backup of the picture file to get all the pictures to the Mac but ended up with the pictures all in one big event in I photo. To make things worse the dates were messed up and I had a duplicate backup on the hard drive so now I have duplicate pictures. This has been a nightmare so my biggest fear was because I was saving emailed family pictures to both my Ipad and Mac once I synced the Ipad I would end up with more duplicate pictures. Good Luck with your problem.