iPad Plug-In Screen Loop

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kylepro88, Jun 17, 2016.

1. kylepro88 macrumors regular

I bought a used iPad off of Ebay. When I first turned it on I got the iTunes plug-in screen and was told it needed a restore. I didn't think anything of it, I was going to wipe it clean to put my wife's backup on it anyway. So I did and it worked fine. However, it wasn't until my wife let the battery die or it was turned off that the problem showed it's ugly face. Currently on this iPad, if I wipe it totally clean by putting it in DFU mode, putting the latest firmware and iOS on it, and it starts up with the "Hello & Hola!" screen...but I turn it off and turn it back on...the iTunes plug-in screen comes back. I thought my backup was corrupt until I set it up totally fresh without ever touching it, just turning it off and then back on. The problem was still there.

What's wrong with this thing? I've already contacted the seller to return it possibly but that's a pain. I can go to the Apple Store but if I can't even put this in DFU mode, and Option-Restore it fresh from the RAW firmware without getting this problem, then something else must be going on. Thoughts??

iPad Air 2, 16GB Wifi ONLY.

2. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

It sounds from your description that you're installing iOS then rebooting. Have you actually tried setting up the iPad? Is it activation locked?

3. kylepro88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I've setup the iPad as well, restored and not restored, etc. I've done this quite a few times now. No matter what is or isn't done...whenever it's turned off, I'll get the plug-in screen again.

4. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Sounds odd. Since you've udone a dfu restore and set up and you still have an issue I think you may be out of options. You'll have to take it to the Apple Store.

5. kylepro88 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like it was the iPad itself. Took it to Apple Store and ran them through the process. They confirmed and looked up serial. It still had warranty available so they handed me a replacement and that's it. Simple!

Glad to be rid of that last one. What a mess.