IPad Po 9.7 getting Hot fast with apps such as videogames

Discussion in 'iPad' started by borgusio, Apr 13, 2016.

1. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Hallo Guys,

After a couple of days of use I tried some videogames. The iPad becomes really hot on the right side. The interesting thing is that it happens also with less demanding games such as crossy roads. The iPad Air 1 was running them without any issue.

Dou you a observe a similar behavior or do I have to bring it back to apple?

It would be cool if you could download crossy roads (is a casual game and for free so easy to test) just for the sake of comparison...

2. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

In my experience, it happens on both the Air 1 and the Pro 9.7". It gets warm (I wouldn't say "really hot") but doesn't affect my use or experience with the iPad. I notice it more on the Pro 9.7" probably because of its thinner design but it's nothing to be concerned about.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Everyone idea of HOT is different.

Any video game that use a good bit of CPU will get the iPad Pro warm. If you have turned up the backlight that will add to the heating. But it should not be getting "hot"

4. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

This is my fourth iPad and third iPhone. I never experienced something like this. It is unpleasant to hold when using apps that I had already in my previous iPad. I am the same person. So even if subjective in absolute terms, relative to all my other iOS products this one is objectively much hotter. Anyone else?

5. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

If it gets really really hot to the point of being very uncomfortable, why not just pop by your local Apple store and have them look at it, it could be that something is wrong.

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I haven't noticed this on my 9.7 pro, but did notice it quite a bit on my Air 2

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

By all means if you think it is that hot, have Apple take a look at it. I have watched videos but never played games and my 9.7 does not even get warm.

8. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

It happens with goodreaders as well. Videos are fine. If I go to apple I fear that they would just say that is normal,or even worse to get an iPad with a bad screen...

Does anyone tried good reader and taking notes on PDFs with the Apple Pencil?

Videos are not a problem at all
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2016 ---
    Which games / apps did you try?

9. bufffilm, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Take it in to Apple and get it checked out.

10. Serban Suspended

It is known that the 9.7" pro gets hotter than the 12.9" ipad pro and ipad air2
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2016 ---
    Take a look

Attached Files:

11. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Thanks, this confirms my thoughts, however I find weird that goodreaders causes so much troubles... Given that with my old iPad was running perfectly smoothly (therefore not an highly resource intensive app, I guess).

Sorry for bothering you guys, but could anyone try this with goodreader?

12. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Mine lives in a silicone case so I have no idea if it gets warm or not.

13. jonen560ti macrumors member

jonen560ti

The 9.7 inch will naturally be hotter than the 12.9 as it has an SOC of the same wattage, yet a smaller case giving the heat a smaller area to dissipate.

still. getting hot when using basic apps that should not stress the hardware at all? that sounds a bit odd. first thing, is your environment hot? your device is depending on the surrounding air to keep itself cool. are there any ambient apps that might be adding to the load? tried turning off the Wi-fi in case its downloading something in the background? tried restarting in case there is some sort of zombie process running?

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

15. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I've noticed that the Pro 9,7 is warmer to touch than the Air 2 (particularly at max brightness, the Air 2 barely feels warm at all in the left side and bottom left (button at the bottom in portrait), but the Pro is noticeably warmer in both those areas.

Plus the pro appears to throttle faster than the Air 2 did.

16. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I have the opposite experience to when I had my Air 2

17. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Wow - meaning that yours is less hot?

Mine gets hot even with goodreader. Could you kindly test one of these apps for me?
    Crossy roads
    Goodreader
    Scanbot

18. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

The first thing I noticed is how much less heat my pro generates compared to my air 2 (which is now sold).

I'll test them later for you (heat wise). Throttling I don't know about, but I do know things are faster than my Air 2 was.

19. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Wow - that would be great. My pro becomes hot on the right side after ca. 10' of use.

Best
    Marco

20. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Been using those apps for a while on about 60% brightness and my pro barely gets warm on right hand side. The only time my pro has got 'hot' is when using graphical benchmarking apps.

Hope this helps.

21. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Interesting regarding heat. The two I tested that wasn't the case.

Regarding the speed/throttling. Yes it is generally faster, I was hitting it with the Sling Shot Extreme benchmark from 3DMark and the Air 2 seemed to hold its ground much longer than the Pro did, and the pro took a greater hit to its point score (and FPS). I was surprised that Arstechnica didn't include a throttling test in they review of the Pro 9.7 like the did for the 6S, and 12.9 IPP. I'd run the thermal test they use but its not in the proper release of Geekbench, only appears to be in the special beta version they use.

22. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Thailand guys. now the only question would be how to make these - subjective - tests more objective.

There is any way / apps to measure the pro's internal temps?

23. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Arstechnica apparently use a special build of Geekbench that allows them to do thermal tests (and have as I mentioned included results from it in other iDevice hardware tests), but it doesn't appear to be available to the general public. I had a look for other apps but wasn't able to find one.

24. Eugene macrumors newbie

What are you expecting them to find? An extra chip, a more powerful CPU than expected? The iPad Pro 9.7 doesn't have any heatsinks other than the case itself. Even if it did, the system is only capable of putting out finite watts.

25. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Exactly, my question would be if the cpu dissipation paste was applied correctly or not (or in other words, does my iPad dissipate better or worse than standard).
    If I go to a store I get a very subjective judgement on it. This is why I am asking you guys to help me to compare and understand if the behavior of my iPad is in the everage or not, before going to apple.