iPad potential pain in the neck

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thatguysmells, Mar 25, 2010.

1. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Does anyone else think the iPad will be very unpleasant to use in bed or anywhere other than in its case or on your lap? When we use our laptops the screen is being held up by the hinge. Now, how do you touch the iPad screen with both hands when lying down? You have to hold it upright with one hand, and use the other hand to manipulate the screen. Either way, if your lying down you can't use both hands on the screen unless you have iPad propped up somehow. Seems much harder than sitting your laptop on your lap while lying down, because our laptops rest comfortably on our laps with screen held upright and both hands free.

2. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

I've been wondering about the same thing. Has Apple conducted these ergonomic studies? My biggest concern is your neck bending down while trying to use it in standard laptop position (ie: in lotus position, on your lap).

I guess these things will come out as the device is in larger circulation.

Even if the problem came up, I'm not sure exactly how they might address them...

3. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Apple will be quick to sell you the iPad dock as a solution. But an iPad in an iPad dock is really just a 2 piece laptop. Kind of funny when you think about it.

4. gdieter macrumors member

I think the analogy would be reading a magazine while lying down. Use one or two hands to hold it upright, resting the magazine/ipad on your chest. Not sure what app will need you to use both hands on the screen. Unless you mean for typing - but how do you type on a laptop keyboard if you're lying down?

5. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i have a feeling prolonged typing on the ipad is going to be death to your hands/wrists

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I see someone manufacturing a foam pillow wedge that will prop up the iPad at a usable angle when on the bed

8. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    LOL

This is a pretty useful article:
    http://www.pbcentral.com/columns/hildreth_moore/beddesks.shtml

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

Considering I already hold my iPhone when laying on my back I don't see this changing the effect much. The ability to lay on my side and watch a video will only improve as it's a larger screen so I can prop up the iPad and not be so close to it anyhow. As far as posture goes though, don't really see anymore of an issue with the iPad as I already deal with on the iPhone..

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I think people are blowing this out of proportion.

Most people will probably be reading and doing simple stuff with the iPad when laying down that only requires one finger. Apple can't cater to people who want to write novels in bed. I'd imagine one of those fancy prop-up pillows and the Apple iPad case on your lap will allow you to type or do whatever you need in bed.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Cervical Realignment After iPad syndrome, or:

CRAP

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Except it's a known medical fact that only the h8tr bois that complain about lack of Flash, OS X, etc, are susceptible to this since they are the only ones that A) have a cervix, and B) are clearly out of joint because of the mere existence of the iPad.

As for the iPad in bed, how do you read a book in bed? How do you use a pen and paper to brain storm in bed? No need to reinvent the wheel here. And if you need to do real work why not just get out of bed? Talk about inventing problems.

13. Alfuh macrumors regular

Cervix != Cervical

:eek:

14. hualon macrumors 6502

15. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

People read books in bed all the time, and have for hundreds of years. I think using an iPad in bed would be very similar to reading a book, and I don't see any problem with it.

They even gave it a screen locking capability so if you lie on your side the screen won't keep trying to rotate.

Also, its not that heavy, and I think will be easy to hold and move around until you find a comfortable position, unlike a bulky, heavier laptop.

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

All of you that are worried about this must have never used an e-reader while laying in bed. It's perfectly comfortable.

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Hell, the iPad is probably easier than reading a book in bed, thanks to the backlight and the fact that there's no actual pages... ever tried the one-hand reading technique? It's difficult... the iPad I think will be much easier to hold. I know I'll be doing a lot more reading thanks to the convenience.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only when Penthouse Forum was in print. :D

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's any easy problem to evaluate. Find a book in your house that is close to the ipad's size: 1/2" thick, 7.5" wide, and 9.5" long. If you can find one that weighs 1.5 lbs then even better. Take it to bed with you. Pretend its your iPad and see how easy it is to comfortably hold it so you can read its cover. Hold it that way for 1/2 hour or so.

20. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

I guess the same way as I'd hold a book. I've over 20 years of experience with heavy textbooks. I think I can manage a 1.5lbs ipad

21. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

You got it. This is how us 3g owners can bide the LONG time before we get our baby ;)

22. gdieter macrumors member

23. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Very good point. The iPad will definitely be easier to hold than a book. Books are very uncomfortable to hold while lying down.

24. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt