iPad Power and Compatibility

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mosesaro, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mosesaro macrumors member

Do you think the iPad will be able to run dj software like virtual dj or traktor if it was ever designed for the iPad. I am a DJ and a computer junky and was wondering if the iPad will or is able to support midi. The reason for this is because i want to hook up a numark mixdeck or a similar product that has midi control to an ipod via usb or another connector that might work. I dont want to buy a laptop. All i need is audio out and video out. I know that the technology is not out yet but it will be cool to find out if it is possible.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Like all the other "Will the iPad support XXXXXX?" threads, you'll have to wait until it comes out.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're asking a question on an unavailable device for software that is not written that may doing something in the future?

Not to sound harsh but there's too many unknowns about the iPad and its future then what we do know. If that software is available for the iPod touch/iPhone now, then there's a good chance it will work for the ipad and/or be updated to handle the increased size of the iPad.

If not then its anyone's guess if someone will undertake that project and/or the ipad has the necessary hardware to allow such tasks.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

To be fair, the OP wasn't really asking about the specific software or whether it would be available. He seemed to be asking whether the iPad would be powerful enough to handle that type of application from both the software/hardware point of view.

While I'm not familiar with that type of application, perhaps others can form an educated opinion. For instance, if those DJ software packages can easily run on an Atom netbook, one may be able to argue that the iPad should be able to handle it. (NOTE - I'm not saying that the A4 chip is better/worse than an Atom)

ft

EDIT - does MIDI support require specific hardware? If so, is software emulation possible? Hmmm.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Considering the iPod doesn't support midi, it seems like a stretch to suggest the iPad will.

6. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

ftaok got what i was trying to ask.

As for the requierments for the desktop version of the program
    Now the version i think that will run on the iPad should be simpler and half less graphics to support the sound processing. Another question is the A4 fast enough to analyze live sound.

Is it also possible to build a midi simulator if it does not support midi.

I know some folks might think i am crazy because i ask questions about products that are not out yet. But the Beta or full version SDK is already out. So ya. And this is the form of developers who make apps for the ipod.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its all irrelevant if the iPad can't run the headphone jack and a USB audio out simultaneously.

8. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

Why do you say that

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I was thinking you wanted it to replace the software and hardware.

10. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

Actually i want to build maybe an emulator driver to run two external sound cards. Don't know if that is possible though

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as there are already DJ applications for the iPhone 3GS...

Apple's got a DJ patent to for a tablet like device.

I'd say yes, at some point OP.

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

It kinda bugs me how people just come in these threads and shoot down any questions by saying, "It isn't out yet, what a stupid question!!"

…Whatever happened to innocent speculation among peers, eh? ;)

Anyway, here's what we DO know. The dock connector can support custom hardware, as seen here: http://developer.apple.com/ipod/

Numark have created DJ hardware that is compatible with the iPod touch, but as far as I know it's limited to music playback. I think it's entirely possible a hardware manufacturer could make their music hardware / software interact with the iPad. Whether it'll work over a MIDI protocol, I don't know… But I suppose it's entirely possible someone could create a small MIDI I/O box with a dock connector that will translate the MIDI commands in and out of the iPad.

13. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

So can it or does it support midi. Is is possible also to send to seperate audio streams. Like one stream for channel 1 L+R. Another for Channel 2 L+R. Or should i just get an external usb soundcard and maybe write a driver for ir if drivers are possible.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

14. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

A USB soundcard for what? The iPad? I doubt that would work.

Ultimately, you'll have to wait and see if someone creates the software and hardware for it. Someone would need to create a music sequencer app, and someone would need to sell a dock->MIDI I/O + Audio I/O converter. Unless you want to do one (or both) of these yourself.

You could also try emailing Numark.

15. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

Ya I want to build it that's why I am asking question. . These devices are also midi control because you can connect them to your computer via USB. And these devices have a sound so of I can tell the upas to use the two externl sounds it will be good

16. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Cool, well good luck with it.

Like I linked before, if you're looking at it as a business idea, I'd suggest starting here: http://developer.apple.com/ipod/ - where you'll be able to find out exactly what you can and can't do.

But if you're looking to do it as a hack/mod, you'll probably be able to do it — I haven't a clue how, but I'd suggest starting here: http://www.macmod.com/

17. mosesaro thread starter macrumors member

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's why I mentioned a USB sound output. Currently I run one channel from my headphone jack (monitor) and a second channel from the USB output device. I assume the first iPad DJ application would be something like this.

19. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Just spotted this and thought it might interest you: http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

It's on the App store for the iPod touch, so the whole concept could be applied to an iPad app. Never heard of Open Sound Protocol before, but it seems some gear supports it.