iPad Power Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Hello

I have an iPad 3 and an Elgato Game Capture HD. In order for the Game Capture to send a picture through to the TV, it has to receive USB power from my iMac. When the computer is off, I cannot play games, as there is no USB power. I went and bought a USB hub, and an AC Power Adapter for it, so that it always gets power. I hooked up the USB hub to the iMac, and connected the Game Capture and the AC Adapter to the hub, and that problem is solved. When the computer is off, that still works. I had the same problem with my iPad. I connected it to the same hub, but when the AC power is connected to the hub, it does not charge, or even detect that it is plugged in. If I unplug the AC power from the hub so that it only runs on the power from the USB, it will connect to the iMac, but it says "Not Charging" next to the battery. Like I said, if I then plug in the AC power in addition to the USB, it then does not even detect that it is plugged in. I tried turning up the power on the AC adapter, but for some reason, if it is set higher then 5V, it will not even detect that it is plugged in.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

iPad3 can only be charged with wall adapter due to the new battery size.

3. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

For some reason, if I plug it into the hub like I said, but turn the iPad off, it will charge but it will not say that it is charging. Problem solved.

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

It'll charge very slowly, but if you're okay with that then like you said, problem solved.