iPad Power users

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleDApp, Aug 28, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The iPad seems to be marketed as more of a toy. Does anyone really use there iPad for more then say playing games and watching podcasts? If so what do you use your iPad for?

2. vstephenson macrumors member

Two main purposes

For work: everything apart from the heavy duty spreadsheets, all aspects of project management / communication / tracking / GTD / notes / thinking / text / dictation

For home: its my recording studio and music teacher

Its just a machine, your imagination will make it a tool

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My ye old laptop that got me through school died, so I picked up iPad for my sole portable.

Communication
    News reading, Reeder, no podcasts
    Photo editing
    Still have about 200 technical papers loaded in it and several notes tapped out in it from IEEE conference 2 weeks ago.
    I have edited/tweaked docs from email or simply reviewed them and return/replied.

iPhone is for games. iPhone is with me all the times, those times when I'm going to be sitting in a waiting room or idlely bored, and game-state doesn't save across devices. Would be pointless to start one on iPad =/

4. pcunite macrumors member

I'm a power user, Quad-Core PC, 24" display, etc ... I get frusterated with how slow I have to operate to get things done on the iPad. That said, it a great tool for very specidfic tasks that aren't time critical.

What I love about it:
    • Reading a book or PDF files.
    • Showing pictures to a group and letting them pass it around.
    • Giving it to the kids to play games. They drop allot and it works fine.
    • Checking the weather report on the couch.

What I hate:
    • No filesystem ... I'm not an idiot ... I can handle it.
    • No true multitasking.
    • No USB ports.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I use it as a preview screen for video editing, and for navigating aircraft.

6. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I was referring to people who are iPad power users yes I'm sure everything runs faster on a quad core machine but the MP lacks portability.

7. lovefang macrumors newbie

8. mystik610 macrumors regular

ereader: to read various textbooks, documents, articles, web content, etc that I need for both work and grad school. Just last night I was working on some work I brought home and was using the iPad as a second monitor to display documents I was working out of, while working on an excel sheet on my macbook pro.

I also was able to get some reading for school done at the tire shop saturday while getting my tires rotated and balanced.

desktop virtualizer: Can access my work and home desktops via the iPad. The files I was working with last night were stored on my office network, and was able to access them via the citrix app.

I also plug my Macbook Pro into my home theater system at home, and the iPad works really well as a desktop virtualizer/remote for the macbook.

These are the two main functions of my iPad right now, and they both go a long way to make life easier. It has effectively replaced the need for me having to carry a bag full of documents for work, AND a separate bag for my textbooks and documents for grad school. This is huge.

There is a little investment of time to get documents loaded to the iPad, but even if I forget to sync something, between desktop virtualization and utilization of my drop box app, everything I need can be accessed via the iPad on the go.

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm an educational reaearcher who observes classrooms. It's perfect for taking notes (handwritten, along with sketches of classroom layout) during my observations.

Also serves all the functions that a PDA did back in the day - calendar, to do lists, etc.

The primary reason I wanted one was to read scholarly journal articles - no more carrying around two-inch stacks of paper everywhere I go!

Oh, and it totally saved my butt (or rather, my newborn baby's butt one night. :)

And, of course, I use it for web browsing, blog posting, games, Netflix, etc.

10. xraydoc, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Use it for work to a very significant degree.

- GoodReader: syncing DropBox files; keep ~150 reference PDF articles on it; keep tons of Word and PDF documents and forms that I either frequently need to access or send off to others; stores various schedules (emailed to me as Excel files). Stacks of meeting agendas and other notes sent to me prior to meetings I will save as PDF files so I don't have to kill more trees and print them out only to toss them later.

- Email/Calendar/Address Book: Syncs with my Outlook at work. Send/receive nearly 100 pieces of work email per day; manage my work and personal calendars.

- Safari: Manage work-related schedules, staffing assignments and hospital data via Safari and our web-based applications (New Innovations, Amion, ACGME, NRMP, AAMC); access internal Windows apps via Citrix.

- Pages: Frequently used to write letters and meeting minutes.

- Keynote: Give at least one lecture weekly off the iPad via Keynote and a ceiling-mounted projector; use the iPad to author/edit Keynote presentations; use my iPhone as the Keynote remote control via either wifi or bluetooth to have my notes and upcoming slides with me when I'm in a larger lecture hall.

- Penultimate: Use it to take handwritten notes in meetings.

About 85% of what I need I can do on my iPad. The rest - like big Word files with complex formatting, Excel files with pivot tables and other calculations or large Keynote presentations with complex animations and looping video - I do on my laptop or desktops at home and work.

I get a remarkable amount of work done on my iPad. Its 3G connectivity gives me even more flexibility for when I'm not at home/work.

I use mine so much, as a matter of fact, that I've inspired several others to buy them as well who previously thought they were pretty much just big iPods.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I use Toodledo to manage my to-do list. It's a great app which syncs the iPad with the iPhone and with iCal (via shared calendar) and features Push alerts of upcoming items.